Places you thought were somewhere else

Found out the other day that Pontefract isn’t in Wales like I always thought so what are some places you thought were somewhere but they’re not?

Also always thought Dungeness was in Scotland and Harrogate was in Kent or somewhere. Weird. Your turn!

6 Likes

Loads of people seem to think Billericay is in Ireland. I think I might’ve at one point.

2 Likes

I always thought Pontefract was in Wales as well, until there was a Yorkshire map with it on in my Geography GCSE exam paper.

1 Like

Thought Andover was in Belgium until I went through it on a train.

8 Likes

Leeds Castle
Dublin Castle

6 Likes

Rotterdam, Liverpool and Rome

1 Like

I thought it was in Wales, until Gavin and Stacey. Think Billericay should be in Wales and Barry should be in Essex imho

14 Likes

I went to college in Pontefract

Absolutely stinks of liquorice cause the Haribo factory is there

5 Likes

Wales does pretty nicely out of that trade I reckon.

2 Likes

Pontefract does sound quite Welsh tbf

5 Likes

thought Preston was in Essex for years because of the guy from the Ordinary Boys

5 Likes

Pont-y-ffract

9 Likes

I have no idea where anywhere is

2 Likes

or popcorn depending on the day of the week.

1 Like

anywhere in Essex could also be in Lancashire for me. Colchester - Lancs. Braintree - famous suburb of Manchester.

1 Like

Ongar - Wales.

1 Like

Thought Penryn was in Wales.

Also Pen-y-ghent is definitely in the Brecon Beacons and not the Yorkshire Dales.

1 Like

Shocked to hear that about Pontefract tbh. Every day’s a school day and all that.

Found out yesterday Carlisle isn’t in Wales either. Should be, IMO. With a name like that it’s got no business being in England

3 Likes

Lot of Cornish places sound a bit Welsh. Newlyn, Tintagel etc

Thought bognor regis was wales too