places you're intimidated walking in to

Any restaurant/café where it’s not clear if it’s table service or not.

20 Likes

small boutique type clothes shops that you can tell will be really expensive but wanna double check if they have anything on sale but there’s a member of staff stood there waiting to pounce on you

Anywhere I want to try a product and then not buy it just cos I wanted to see what it was liked, I get immense stress saying no to buying stuff, gets my anxiety racing for whatever reason.

the lack of space for packing at the till in Aldi is obviously designed to induce a mental breakdown in even the most centred of customers

3 Likes

control f “John Lewis”
ffs

2 Likes

Memphis

This is absolutely harrowing.

2 Likes

It always seems to me that they pride themselves on providing a total lack of customer service, like it’s part of the whole bargain supermarket experience

For me it’s the insane scanning speed of most of the staff - gotta be the fastest scanners out there!

3 Likes

Anywhere that isn’t my own house.

And some days my own house.

1 Like

most cafes but especially hipster ones

find it much easier going into clubs tbh

Pile it straight into the trolley. Bag it after paying. This is basic shit lads

3 Likes

Immigration control at US airports

8 Likes

As if! Get your bags ready in the trolley so you don’t have to waste precious time at the back of the store.

2 Likes

aye they’re definitely trained to scan as quickly as possible, throwing all the items into the size of a postage stamp to cause maximum stress

2 Likes

Only way to keep pace with the scanner if it’s a solo trip (if there’s 2 of you, bagging at the till works)

Anywhere where you know you’re going to be approached by a member of sales staff within 30 seconds. (Maplin used to be terrible for this)

1 Like

Always found that pretty variable. The NYC guards were usually pretty fine, the ones in Texas much less so.

Weirdly I got more grief for being a solo traveller from the Canadians the one time I went to Toronto, where the guy took a fair while to grasp that yes I was travelling on my own and no I wasn’t there to see some kind of relative.

tbh as long as you have time to unload properly so you’ve got all the heavy stuff at the front, it’s easy enough to sling it in your bags in the proper order.

problems arise when it’s quieter and you feel under pressure to get everything on the belt quickly.

Any shop (but particularly “gift” type ones) where you’re the only visitor and you can practically hear the staff whispering “please buy something, please buy something” under their breath

1 Like