Plastic consumption

Ecover annoy me, because the airmiles involved in its production and shipping is really high compared to other products.

still very niche though isn’t it. presumably that would improve if more people adopted it.

Could they not give people who recycle properly council tax breaks or something? Would that not be a good way to encourage people to do it rather than, idk, fines, etc?

1 Like

how about rewarding people who snoop on their neighbours who don’t recycle? could work.

2 Likes

It’d just end up being a bit of a classist witch hunt, wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

not really practical when you buy a load of lose spuds, mushrooms etc though is it. Wish supermarkets would provide more paper bags (like they do in some places for mushrooms) but I guess the plastic bags are cheaper.

1 Like

plus there is no way their toilet cleaner is getting the more stubborn skidmarks off my pan.

Our council have been looking at that.

The problem is shared blocks and shared housing, combined with a poorly regulated, high turnover rental sector. It’s why places in cities, despite having better infrastructure for it, have lower recycling rates than that would suggest.

it’s fine, just bung them in yr basket and wash at home

1 Like

it was a deeply unpopular lib dem policy where i’m from about a decade ago, assumed it was more widespread but i guess not

nah. Weekly trolley shop for family of four. Not practical.

Our recycling options are pretty basic. There’s a bin for glass and plastic bottles and containers but no other plastics/glass. There’s a bin for paper and card. Then there’s a small household waste bin, and a huge general waste bin. Most people just pile everything in the general waste bin because they can’t be arsed. Not sure if this is a normal setup. Seems a bit pointess to me, to a degree anyway. They should remove the general waste option and have seperate bins for all glass, all plastics, all paper/card, all metals (recyclable or not), then a compost heap. Maybe i’m missing something.

One thing I noticed - in our old flat the council didn’t make any provision for recycling because our flat was in an odd place or whatever. So we just had to lob all of our rubbish out in a bag on the street with the cafe next door. I mean we could have bagged it all up and then got on the bus to to the recycling centre but… you just don’t, do you? Think we’d get through about 4+ bin bags a week or something on average.

Now we fastidiously recycle. Both packaging and food. Most weeks we’ll barely fill up one bin bag of ‘other waste’ and I reckon that’s mostly because we have a cat (we use paper-based litter too).

So yeah what’s that 75% of of the stuff we were lobbing out on the street in our old flat could actually have been recycled. Nuts ain’t it.

Our recycling is quite good. Every second week we get a black bin (non recycling) collection. On the alternate weeks the blue bin (plastic, papers and carbboard, tins etc) gets uplifted, along with te brown bin (lawn clippings, soil and that).

On a black bin day there’s also a glass bin uplift, and every week the food composter gets taken away. We haven’t quite got to grips with the food recycling yet- I think they were meant to give us, ironically, some plastic lining sacks for the bin, and without them it just seems so messy. We are only a family of 3, and this works well for us just now, but if they drop the black bin collection (as they are threatening to do) to every 3rd week then we’re going ot have to start food composting and maybe request another blue bin and be stricter about packaging going in there instead of the black.
Nice bin chat.

All our recycling goes in the same bin, and it’s sorted at the waste centre. I think this is the only practical way to get people recycling regularly - minimise the sorting that you have to do in the home otherwise people just throw it in the general waste.

We also have a compost/plant bin and it means that our general waste is barely a carrier bag a week.

1 Like

It absolutely fucking should be

1 Like

OOOOhhh
in that case I’M IN

1 Like

NO!
Just stop giving out plastic bags FULL STOP
People will learn

1 Like

That’s what I meant.

The onus IS on the consumer to get their shopping home without using plastic bags, it IS NOT on the shop to provide alternatives.

Although I understand behavioural change probably hinges on both, it is infuriating to hear someone say “Nah I’ll continue to use plastic bags etc. unless someone else comes up with a solution for me”.

Actually I didn’t read the second half of the post properly. My apologies.

We’re all in agreement.