Plastic consumption

No, i’m an adult, mate.

1 Like

cause paper bags are worse* for the environment than plastic ones

Really? Fucking hell.

That sort of shows that the message isn’t getting across, though, eh? Literally never been exposed to that information at any point.

OMG
That’s so bad.

I have to tell my housemate to empty the bins because she has a terrible habit of going “RIGHT IM CLEANING OUT THE FRIDGE” and go “ahh done”
but what she’s actually done is squash food and all sorts into an already pretty full bun by squashing the contents of the bin down further and further until the bin is entirely full up, the bag is definitely broken, and it’s very very heavy, too heavy that you have to lift the bin outside and attempt to lift it up and pour it out. She doesn’t then take this out, she then just leaves it. She’s even gone to the lengths of not emptying that bin she’s filled up, and having a secondary plastic bag bin on top of the bin.

JUST EMPTY THE BIN.

Oh god I feel your pain (this is now the annoying housemates thread)

Same housemate up there will take enough of a particular type of recycling to completely fill whichever recycling bin it is, with the lid not able to fit back on. How does she not realise this should all just go straight out to the big bin. Like, she tidied her room and chucked out all the paperwork from previous jobs, reams and reams of paper. Straight into the recycling bin in the kitchen and completely filled it. She is thick as fuck.

paper is biodegradable and plastic isn’t so paper is better in that sense

but looking at the lifecycle of the bag, paper takes far more resources to make than the plastic ones. plastic bags also generally get reused for something else after, whereas paper ones will fall to bits and get thrown out straight away.

you have to use a tote bag something like 100 times before it’s better for the environment than a regular plastic bag. nothing is straightforward.

I try to do my bit where possible. Recycling as much as we can, not using straws etc. Also at least try and fill a carrier bag with rubbish on every beach visit we do. But banning plastic as a few people have mentioned above just isn’t an option currently is it ? we rely on it so much. it’s used everywhere. I’m stating the obvious I know but I’m not seeing an alternative in many situations.

Give us some examples where you can’t have an alternative.

think of all the plastic that goes into cars. Not gonna start having handbuilt wooden dashboards in your fiat punto are you. It may be an alternative but it’s not a financially feasible one is it. Look at your house, windows, guttering, facias. All plastic.

We’re not talking about that.
We’re talking about things we purchase. Fruit and veg in plastic, meat in plastic, plastic milk bottles, water bottles etc.

Think everyone is aware we can’t get rid of plastics full stop but we definitely can hugely limit the amount of plastics we use each day and the amount of rubbish that goes into landfills.

Someone mentioned ban all plastic. That’s what I was commenting on. So doesn’t seem everyone is aware. But yes, much can be done with the things that we consume daily. Breaks my heart to see so much shit on my local beach it really does.

…like cars then?

Ban all cars

2 Likes

unrealistic.

Where there’s a will there’s a way Richie

can’t see there being a will for that idea though. It’s literally dead on the stairs, dead on the stairs :wink:

at some point we’ll look back at now and be absolutely horrified that in the supermarket we could either buy a handful of veg, or we could buy the same veg but wrapped in plastic for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON

arsenic & lead in paint & wallpaper

those were the days eh?

I probably wrote this above, but it really bothers me that in parts of Asia they sell apples individually wrapped in foam sleeves, collected together in a polystyrene tray and then wrapped in copious amounts of clingfilm.

Horrifying amounts of overpackaging out there.

Left-field choice of baby name, but congratulations to @plasticniki and @plasticmike!

12 Likes