PlayStation Classic

Given that this little grey box was recently voted DiS’s favourite ever console, what do you make of this?

Five games announced so far:

Final Fantasy VII
Jumping Flash
Ridge Racer Type 4
Tekken 3
Wild Arms

There’ll be 20 in total, so what would you want to see in the remaining 15?

It’s hard to think of many classic Playstation games in the same way that there are classic NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, MegaDrive games etc. Are there many games that came out on the Playstation that weren’t better or released earlier on other formats?

Wipeout, maybe? I can’t really think of any others. Even the list above sounds disappointing to me.

you can still buy the original console for about £20 on ebay and pick up games for less than £5 in most cases, given it’s unlikely that the 20 bundled games would all be one’s you’d want to play can’t see the appeal in this

Tomb Raider 2
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
Abe’s Oddworld
Metal Gear Solid
Crash Team Racing
ParRappa the Rapper
Vib Ribbon
Gran Turismo
Colin McRae Rally

All seen as “classics” or at least fondly remembered I think?

7 Likes

WipeOut 2097, Gran Turismo (possibly 2). Loved the shit old cars you’d get in the old ones.

Other classics: Crash Bandicoot (although they only just rereleased that), Kurushi, Parappa the Rapper, MGS?

Would there be licensing issues with the music from THPS?

Yes.

3 Likes

No idea, wouldn’t be the same without it though.

1 Like

Parappa the Rapper and Vib Ribbon I’ll give you. Also Bishi Bashi Special.

All the others were better on other platforms or were not as good as equivalent games on other platforms, imho.

might get one of these

1 Like

I feel like this product has less of a need to exist given that only Nintendo seem to have such a weird reluctance to put their old products out on new consoles. I’ve played FFVII on God knows how many consoles/phones etc over the years (and will be again on Switch next year), if I hadn’t done I would be buying this in a heartbeat.

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Oh shit, Driver!

5 Likes

The Die Hard trilogy!

3 Likes

Sheep, Wolf and Dog
Fifa World Cup 98

1 Like

Ive got a ps1 on eBay at the minute if anyone wants it

THPS