Please help me settle an important philosophical argument

5 Likes

sorry I didn’t actually read that bit

not surprised that gif is by anonymous, id remain anonymous rather than admit to uploading that filth

imagine not licking your pizza scissors clean

5 Likes

I had a pizza earlier, but it’s a bit late for this suggestion now.

1 Like

I just rinse it off in the basin

As Heidegger once said:

The less we just stare at the pizza-thing, and the more we seize hold of it and cut it into slices, the more primordial does our relationship to it become, and the more unveiledly is it encountered as that which it is—as equipment. The cutting itself uncovers the specific ‘manipulability’ of the pizza. The kind of Being which equipment possesses—in which it manifests itself in its own right—we call ‘readiness-to-hand’. ( Being and Time 15: 98)

7 Likes

philosophers are terrible writers

2 Likes

team yes are looking at a humiliating defeat so allow me to flesh out the argument

each slice represents it’s own period of enjoyment during the pizza-eating episode. as pleasure grows, peaks and subsides, each new slice represents an opportunity to reset the experience and embark on a new slice and a new wave of pleasure. the size of the actual slice is really neither here nor there. also pizza connoiseurs will appreciate that no two slices of pizza are identical, especially ones with adventurous toppings. increasing the slice ratio also increases the breadth of possibility.

1 Like

Yet within the plane of a larger slice there may be more variation in topping, therefore different pleasure potentials. Model is flawed, please revise

1 Like

Here’s another question.

Do you think you are psychologically capable of cutting a pizza like this?

• Yes, I could manage this
  • No, I could not manage this
  • No, and even the sight is making me feel queasy
0 voters

done something similar but not so bad before, not really paid attention to the middle and cut one half much smaller than the other

In the same way that I can force myself to take a cold shower or attend a blood donation, yes, but I would not enjoy it.

In the same way that I couldn’t force myself to drive my car into the central reservation, I couldn’t do this.

2 Likes

it wouldn’t be so bad, you’d have basically the same amount of pizza

if you ate the small slices first it’d feel like a special treat when you got to the big ones

2 Likes

But it just looks wrong. Like those people who bite into a four finger KitKat like it’s a sandwich

1 Like

once you’ve cut them and placed them on a plate arranged differently it won’t seem so unnatural

On reflection, like actually properly looking at it, it does make me feel uneasy