Podcasts thread - for September 2016

here are my regulars:

songexploder - in which artists go into detail about how their songs were written, with quite a decent variety of genres. past guests include converge, the national, magnetic fields, bjork, courtney barnett, iggy pop, and grimes.

anti gravity bunny radio - another music one. these are lengthy podcasts, usually two hours long and posted every other week. the music is mostly ambient/drone, sometimes a little dark sometimes a little weird, with introductions for each track. whether you like this will purely come down to if youā€™re into those genres of music.

mortified - crackin comedy one, adults reading out their teenage diary in front of a live audience. some are just funny or weird, others are crushingly cringe.

lore - i suppose you could call it a horror podcast? in it one bloke talks about the history of myths and folklore, how they came about. hereā€™s a description of one episode: When the authorities entered a building in Chicagoā€™s south side in 1895, they werenā€™t prepared for what they found. Above and below the neighborhood pharmacy was a seemingly never-ending maze of doors and rooms. What those hallways and staircases led to, however, was beyond disturbing.

welcome to nightvale - dark comedy horror in the form of radio announcements from a fictional town where a lot of strange stuff is going on. wonderful surreallness to it all.

giantbomb / giantbomb beastcast - videogames videogame videogames. people talking about videogames but great chemistry between them all makes it quite interesting. i find it great to have on in the background while doing housework/commuting as it brightens up a lot of tasks.

guardian football weekly - obviously if you donā€™t care about football this isnā€™t one for you. but if you do this is pretty decent! strengths are due to the tone being quite upbeat with chances for poor quality bants not missed. in an hourā€™s time they seem to get through a lot of football events without it being rushed, and without it becoming dry technical babble. well put together.

Iā€™ve been meaning to listen to the black tapes for a while, thanks for reminding me! Havenā€™t heard of Wolf 359 or EOS 10 but Iā€™ll add them to my list.