Pokémon thread (Rolling)

As inspired by @jazzballet, @incandenza and others in the DiS Wisdom thread! This thread is for the Pokémon games, from Red and Blue all the way up to Sun and Moon! Talk about your favourite Pokémon, the best games, even the Trading Card Game!

I’ve recently restarted Red myself and I’ve just reached the Elite Four after just under twenty seven hours! Here’s the slightly out of balance team I’ve been using:

The nostalgia inducing title screen!

And the battered walkthrough I’ve had since I was eleven or twelve!

7 Likes

When I’m home next I’ll grab my walkthrough for Gold/Silver! That thing was my bible. We didn’t have Internet access at home until about 2003/2004 so I never had the chance to access those.

I’ve relied heavily on the Internet to find the hidden items in the game this time around but it’s nuts how many of their locations I remember from playing it ten or more years ago. The human brain is an incredible thing!

although I had Gold and Silver, I’m a total sap for Gen 1 even though the legendaries in Gen 2 are cooler.

favourite starter: Squirtle… think I chose this little critter because I loved to swim as a child so felt a kinship there, although maybe just because it was the ‘blue Pokemon’. Bloody love my level 100 Blastoise on my Pokemon Blue game. that said, while I didn’t get to the games with Gen 5 in them, Snivy is pretty badass.
favourite Pokemon generally: basic as fuck, but I do love Pikachu (reminds me of my gerbil and SO CUTE in Pokemon Yellow). also Jigglypuff (me in pokeform), Dragonair (so pretty), Haunter (king of bants) and Magikarp (adorably shit). but as a kid my all-time fave was MAGNEMITE. when the cards were all the rage at school, i fucking traded a shiny Dragonite card for a NORMAL FUCKING MAGNEMITE. even i realised what an idiotic decision I’d made but, wisely, the girl I traded with refused to trade back.
favourite type: Psychic. cool as fuck and Sabrina is the gym leader!! I was so in love with her from the anime as a kid. oh and the move Psychic has such a great noise in the game.

I did not have any walkthroughs although after I’d played for about 60 hours, someone told me about the Missingno glitch. never completed my Pokedex - think I’m on 144. definitely don’t have Porygon or Mew. :frowning:

2 Likes

My Charmander and Mudkip are very excited about this thread.

2 Likes

Also let’s just enjoy how magnificent the first gen battle music is.

3 Likes

also, if we can talk about the anime in here: Electric Shock Showdown is my favourite TV episode of anything and I’ve watched it 30+ times because it inspires me and I strongly identify with Pikachu in some of my Countdown endeavours (watching it in my hotel room the night before my CoC QF, when everyone else was out on the piss and I’d had to go home because i was crying uncontrollably about playing my ex-bf again on TV, was the only thing that got me to stop sniffling) x

2 Likes

Anime chat is encouraged!

1 Like

Also, I’m off out now but I have a wealth of Pokémon-related posts to make tomorrow!

1 Like

I identify so hard with post-loss Pikachu that I might make this heartbreaking still my avatar :cry:

7 Likes

i’ll see your Pokemon themes and raise you the Zelda Symphony.of the Goddesses; in particular the Windwaker movement. (I’ve listened to this so much this year) Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses: Second Quest-Toronto 2013 *FULL CONCERT* - YouTube

1 Like

Then this may be of interest to you.

http://www.pokemonsymphony.com/

1 Like

Would say the final fantasy series edges it. Particularly 6. Anything by Nobuo Uematsu actually. I think Pokemon was actually a little inspired by it given that it is ultimately a turn based rpg

I got this on Thursday

I also still have that walk through somewhere :smile:

11 Likes

That’s a really good design! Just seen the whole range and I’ve now got half an eye on the outline pikachu one.

1 Like

liked that one too, might get one or two more from the range later. the overall winner is pretty boring though, it’s just a pixel Mario rotated and shifted down and right, well done m8.

I’m similar enough, have so much time for Gen 1 Pokémon (though I do have an odd soft spot for Gen 3 Pokémon as well.)

Favourite Starter: Charmander! I always pick Charmander in Red/Blue, even though the game is a little tougher at the start. You can end up properly racing through the last four Gym leaders with a Charizard though. Favourite of all the other starters was Cyndaquil though. (Shoutout to my Lvl. 100 Typhlosion!)

Favourite Pokémon: This is really hard. It was Snorlax in Gen 1, then Heracross in Gen 2. I used mostly Dragonites from then on because I loved them. Always had two in my party. Still have a massive soft spot for Raichu though

Favourite Type: Fire! Loved Blaine as a Gym leader and there are so many cool Fire types. Charizard, Ninetails, Arcanine, Magmar, Moltres, Typhlosion, Magcargo, Houndoom!

3 Likes

I absolutely love that t-shirt! Can you buy them online?

Uniqlo’s website.

2 Likes

Nice one! Thanks!

might buy this, jfc.