Pop Perfection 2020

Next series of Queer Eye is using her next track as title/teaser music. Sounds like a 100% Carly Banger and no mistake:

some of this is pretty good
Billie eilish

I like Sure, not 100% convinced by the rest. But I’ll be keeping an eye on this

1 Like

might should just make this the permanent rolling pop thread and take the year off?

Anyway the new Betty Who album is great.

1 Like

Kehlani release is really great. I was so happy to hear Musiq Soulchild in something meaningful in 2019, nice little timabaland-esque beat too

Quite a lot of great stuff on that new Self Esteem album. Might be 3-4 songs too long but when it pops it really pops

2 Likes

It’s so fucking good

1 Like

This is my first post (ever!) so not sure what the deal is yet but I felt compelled to drop this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv7QXYcnWHo

2 Likes

Probably my favourite song off Honey. Love everything about it.

Those Ally Pally dates are coming up soon :grin:

1 Like

Can we talk about Ariana? I was quite down on last year’s Sweetner in the OP (perhaps unfairly), but the new one’s been a hugely pleasant surprise IMHO opinion. Not as many bangers as you might expect but lots of slight, well-crafted pop gems

And, of course

So, what’s the DiS pop illuminati’s opinion? (Vote and lots of chat please)

0 voters

Really like It’s Easier, and this feels like it could have been really good, but just doesn’t live up to its early promise?

big fan. Ariana and BTS are tied as my two favourite modern pop angels. she just has a phenomenal voice and some great songs and her work is definitely way more nuanced and dark than it was when she first appeared. her earlier albums are a bit too sugary for me with occasional flashes of greatness and certified bangers, but I actually really like sweetener and thank u, next

1 Like

Agree with this assessment. Really happy for her too given the horrendous shit she’s been put through over the past couple of years

Big week in the pop world with the release of Sigirid’s Sucker Punch, which features some of the best pop hits of the past 2 years in the title track and Strangers.

First half is amazing, really think it falls off a cliff in the second half. Also strange to think that a lot of these songs were included instead of High Five. Still, not bad for a debut. What’s everyone else’s first impressions?

0 voters

I think it’s just really inconsistent. Sucker Punch is one of the best pop singles in recent years but the album kind of feels all over the place and lacking a coherent reason to exist. A bit self-consciously kooky in places, too (seriously, what’s going in Business Dinners?).

(also there’s a few moments - Never Mine, Mine Right Now in particular - that make me wonder if she’s deliberately trying to evoke Carly, and it’s just making me think I’d rather be listening to Carly instead)

1 Like

hyooge

Bad Idea is the best track on this album

YES oh god I am so hyped for the album

2 Likes

Not really a fan of this one and I really liked Sweetener. Maybe I need some more time with it?