Positive Thinking

Can you do it?

• yeah sure!
  • if I try really hard
  • never going to work

0 voters

If you worry a lot, do feel it is sensible and reasonable to worry about everything?

• yes
  • no but canā€™t help it

0 voters

Which do you fear most?

• spending your life miserable and afraid
  • being caught by surprise with some bad news

0 voters

any helpful mantras for stuff like this?

Like something you can say to yourself that allows you to let go and live in the present?

Have an incredibly negative self-talk at all sports. Make a mistake and will just mutter under my breath calling myself a cunt. But by god it works

2 Likes
  • positive experiences leave an impression that I can draw from in tough times
  • I quickly forget when things have worked out well for me

0 voters

I feel like the prevalence on having to think positively especially in the workplace is pretty toxic. Some things are just bad.

5 Likes
  • I have become more optimistic as Iā€™ve gotten older
  • no change that Iā€™m aware of
  • some things are easier to be optimistic about, others harder
  • I have become less optimistic as Iā€™ve gotten older

0 voters

I like it when other people say stuff like ā€œweā€™ll deal with that if/when it happensā€ but I canā€™t get that mindset to work for me

1 Like

Not sure if Iā€™ve become more optimistic as Iā€™ve got older, but Iā€™ve definitely become more accepting of the things I canā€™t change and worry about them less.

3 Likes

thatā€™s the best outcome I think, being able to accept situations

1 Like

Iā€™m not super pessimistic but I will instinctively take up a negative position when faced with overwhelming positivity.

1 Like

To be fair, itā€™s hard to say if it is an actual change in mindset or just a change in circumstances. Iā€™m much more financially, personally and professionally settled now than I was when I was younger so objectively there is less to worry about.

I think that obviously it makes it easier to deal with the remaining things there are that you canā€™t control. I can still get anxious at times, often about quite trivial things, but I can usually shake myself out of it.

1 Like

everything is terrible

not so much for me personally, but in the wider sense, climate doom, eternal tory rule etc.

hilarious if anyone tells me to think positive

1 Like

I was thinking more in your own life but I imagine stuff like this can still cut down similar lines of thinking:

itā€™s out of my control so why worry about it too much etc

Vaguely believe in this stuff - not like in a way of actually influencing anything, but more that you are more likely to take a chance on something if you believe thereā€™s a possibility of it paying off.

I very nearly missed my train today. I could of thought, ā€˜oh no Iā€™ve missed my trainā€™, bumbled along and missed it, but I thought positively, had a little jog along the platform and caught the train with seconds to spare! What a lesson!

1 Like

I think positive thinking probably has a huge impact on your quality of life personally.

I wouldnā€™t say I am a positive thinker but Iā€™m definitely not a negative thinker. I just donā€™t worry about anything I have no control over. I was a depressed teenager as Iā€™m sure many of us were, but as an adult, Iā€™ve managed to always live in the moment and have no particular plans, expectations or fears for the future. Itā€™s very liberating, and itā€™s done wonders for my demeanour.

I should add I mean living in the moment not in the kind of demonstrative social media ā€œYOLOā€ way, but just adapting to the world around as things happen and trying not to have any unrealistic expectations - I live a very risk-averse and some might think boring life but Iā€™m happy.

3 Likes

Iā€™m a super worrier. I give myself a maximum amount of time to worry about any given thing so I donā€™t get into a worry spiral. It actually works pretty well for me.

1 Like

tend to believe if i just sort of muck in i will get the thing i want to happen eventually (provided others involved are also of a mucking-in nature)

2 Likes