Post-Ashes cricket thread 🦗

eggs
cricket!

You’re quite right. Partisan county cricket fans were primed to hate any proposal from the ECB once it became clear they were committed to city franchises.

I personally think separating the T20 ‘festival’ from the counties is a good thing on balance, simply because counties still get a share of the cash but the inevitable draft structure will protect county squads from being too badly distorted. This way the Manchester and Lancashire squads will be significantly different, so that Lancs and Durham may remain competitive in the other competitions.

I am also excited about the (unconfirmed) prospect of a draft. It’s mostly theatrics but I am a sucker for draft picks and it would cap the wages more effectively than the IPLs super-awkward ‘auction’, which I’m pretty sure no Englishman could get away with running.

As to fixture pile-up, I agree it hits attendance having an endless run of T20 games in one go. The ECB have essentially panicked about the weather and tried to do all they can to reassure broadcasters that games will take place. Problem is the height of English summer is less reliable for good weather than April and May these days.

Did anyone see the De Villiers innings for RCB earlier?

I know all these T20 games are forgotten tomorrow but he is something special. Just sounds different off his bat, pure class

TOP O’ THE LEAGUE!

god i fucking love moeen ali

@tricklenipple Jennings and Hameed then :confused:

aye, that’s err… it’s not going well is it? saw a bit of the 2nd innings of the notts game on YouTube and they both looked in good nick. think hameed got a bad decision too from the way he reacted. fuck knows tho… 6 test players and the captain and keeper of the lions and our best players are still tom bailey & jordan clark.

gonna go tomorrow if it’s nice out.

thought Jennings would at least be a good flat-track bully, but, well. the potential of that opening pair vs. the reality…

might try and go down myself this season. some of my pals are off to a one-dayer in the summer, but I missed out on one of the tickets :frowning:

wouldn’t get too concerned yet - there aren’t many openers who will make big runs in april in the north of england. the way the season is organised with the white ball blocks puts so much weight on this early season though, really not into it.

not been to a one dayer in a bit. i just like turning up to a champo game at about 3pm after going record shopping or something. drink rubbish beer just close enough to a group of old men so that i can hear their conversations.

At The Oval today. Perfect day for batting.

That’s reminded me that Warks play at Lords in the county championship this year (is it still the championship if it’s div 2?), that’s in the calendar now

Our all conquering test heroes are in county action this morning. So far:

Cook 0 (caught behind)
Root 0 (golden duck)
Bairstow 7 (bowled)
Stoneman 28 (run out)
Jimmy 10-4-22-0.

Stirring stuff. In fact Yorkshire and Essex are a combined 63/13 in 24 overs so far. Flimsy.

Insert joke about the 100 ball stuff starting early at Chelmsford

Ireland’s first ever test match today. Raining ofc.

it’s great that they’re (in theory) getting their chance at last, but to schedule it in the first half of May is complete nonsense, once again.

You can imagine a scenario where it rains for the full five days for every test they play, and then they have test status revoked. Sunshine forecast tomorrow though, so fingers crossed.

KLAXON lancashire won a game of cricket KLAXON

battering top of the table notts. bunions taking 9fer in the match, waylon making a secondary consecutive ton, saw a fair bit of him last saturday and he looks in really good form.

Lovely ball from Surrey’s teenage spinner to get the England skipper. Surrey’s young guns on lovely form at the moment with Sam Curran’s 6fer and Pope’s 150.

Pakistan need 160 to beat Ireland in their first ever test. They are 14/3…

Exciting for a moment but it looks like the newest Ul-Haq has locked it down for Pakistan.

Probably due a new thread for the series vs Pakistan, but hey.

Thought Ireland did themselves proud, and produced a great test match in the end - a century, a collapse, a fight back, a game in the balance on the last day, a totally washed out day. Top stuff. Here’s to more, and I’ll definitely be going to an Ireland test match sooner rather than later.

I assume this is the team?

Mark Stoneman
Alastair Cook
Joe Root (capt)
Dawid Malan
Jonny Bairstow (keeper?)
Jos Buttler
Ben Stokes
Chris Woakes
Stuart Broad
Mark Wood / Dom Bess
Jimmy Anderson

That batting is… pretty flakey. Although I like the amount of bowlers, gotta take wickets, I’d have thought playing against Pakistan in London in May would require leaning towards batsmen rather than bowlers. Stokes’ batting form has been poor since his absence.

No idea about this Bess lad, but given the injuries to Leach and Crane, sure why not. Just really hope at the end of this summer, a couple of the younger bowlers have regained/displayed sustained form/class, and similarly with an opening batsman and a middle/top order guy (Malan/Buttler/Vince/whoever). Cook, Broad and Jimmy surely only have a couple of summers at most left in the test team.