Post-Ashes cricket thread šŸ¦—

True - especially if a guy like Renshaw really takes his second chance (a la Hayden) we probably wonā€™t see Bancroft pkay tests again

I think Smith definitely comes back - Warner doubtful

I donā€™t know, if they can suspend them on no pay and keep control of them I would imagine they will do so.

Canā€™t stop them playing IPL for example - Symonds is the precedent there I think

Yeah, itā€™s possible. What are restraint of trade laws like in Aus?

Also had one of my own personal on-going curiosities pretty much satisfied - heā€™s a good cricket writer, but appears Lawrence Booth is a bit of a bellend. I usually give sportswriters the benefit of the doubt when they go to the Mail or Sun etc (Booth went from the Guardian to the Mail), as I realise sports journalism is slightly separate to the rest of the paper, and a jobā€™s a job.

But the relish and mean-spirited articles heā€™s come out with - ā€˜David Warner, the most disliked player in the worldā€™s most disliked teamā€™. Youā€™re supposed to be the editor of Wisden, mate, have a bit of class and less of the hit pieces yeah? Itā€™s just shooting fish in a barrel at this point anyway.

3 Likes

Hard to tell until all the details come out but I would assume Cricket Australia havenā€™t done this so they can fuck off round the world playing Twenty20 and getting rich.

Not a good source but;

You were correct.

But the IPL appears to have banned them anyway.

Yep IPL contracts torn up

And Warner never eligible again for a captaincy role for Australia

Be very surprised if he ever comes back in now

Yeah, Jim Maxwell was the first one to come out with this crap view.

2nd best batsmen in history being banned by his own country during the peak of his career for overseeing ineffective cheating in a game they wouldā€™ve lost anyway:

• Amusing
  • Del boy falling through the bar hilarious

0 voters

See I know this is objectively true but I just canā€™t get past the fact that Iā€™m my mind heā€™s the massively ineffectual leg spinning all rounder who cluttered up the Australian late middle order many years ago. I mean I KNOW heā€™s not that player any more but in my head heā€™s going to make a shaky twenty and throw down a few overs of utter pies.

1 Like

Ooft take that Descartes!

4 Likes

George Berkeley eat your heart out.

Feeling like this has all got way harsher than I was expecting; when did we start treating tampering so seriously? It was rampant back in the day, and just sort of shrugged at. e.g. NZ turning Chris Pringle into a world-leading exponent of reverse swing with a few digs with a bottle top, no-one really cared and captain Crowe went down in history as our GOAT.

So for this to be career-ending, potentially? Feels a bit sad. (Especially for Bancroft, who, like Trevor Chappell before him, becomes a victim of instructions from senior players who should know better).

Itā€™s the combination of the act itself (not so bad, but ultimately cheating), Australian sporting culture in general, the rampant hypocrisy and 30+ years of ā€œmental disintegrationā€. Smith is having to pay for the sins of past generations to an extent.

True, and donā€™t think Iā€™m not sick of their constant whining about how mean all the other countries are (itā€™s funny how they can condemn both NZ and Saffa crowds for being nasty to their players, and yet when NZ-SA play thereā€™s a great mutual respect; same for NZ-Eng. Itā€™s almost as if the problem might not be those countries. Not to mention the fact that in the world cup NZ were simultaneously too mean and too nice - the Aussies complained about both).

I wouldnā€™t suggest England are whiter than white, but what do we think would have happened to the respective individuals had it been us, say Bayliss, Root andā€¦Cook? Obviously the personalities are a bit different, but for the sake of arguing, could you imagine them not sacking the coach sharpish?

I find it fucking amazing that one of the three senior people involved hasnā€™t taken it all on the chin to save the others, and moreso Bancroft.

England equivalent would be something like root stokes, bayliss, and say malan.

The latter 2 would disappear forever, stokes would take a lot of flak because of his history and get some form of ban and root would lose the captaincy but be back in the team pretty sharpish Iā€™d imagine

1 Like

ā€˜What the fuck is going on?ā€™ - Darren Lehmann walkie talkie - apparently