Post your most listened to albums of the last week

top discoveries this week have been Flamingods (who i just checked out cos i liked the artwork) and Prettiest Eyes, who i seem to remember were touring with Oh Sees earlier in the year (but not in Ireland). both wonderful albums.

@WizardLizard got round to checking out both the new and last Ceremony album. i knew i’d read about the last one being particularly post-punk influenced which is why i’ve meant to listen to it for absolutely ages. enjoyed both, it’s funny how their newer stuff all has really low scores on RateYourMusic just cos it’s so different to their earlier stuff, even though they deserve better really. didn’t expect them to hate Zoo so much especially.

Oh definitely! Any review I’ve read seems to more often than not focus negatively on their change of direction when really they’ve just put out some really decent and thoroughly enjoyable if admittedly not very inventive records. Imo this doesn’t diminish them in anyway and wouldn’t put me off from recommending them. Saw them support Pissed Jeans around the time L-Shaped Man came out and they were ferocious. Eager to catch them again tbh! Did you say you checked out Zoo too?

Yeah Zoo was the first one I checked out a couple of years ago after listening to a playlist of that really great radio station from GTA V which has a track from Zoo on it. Had initially assumed from that that Zoo would be their ‘big’ album but apparently not…

Checked out Rohnert Park at the time too to hear the contrast but I’ve never bothered going back any further (some of the earlier album art is a bit offputting and tbh I usually find hardcore much samier than post-punk knock offs myself). They had a Spotify playlist of L-Shaped Man influences that was full of post-punk which intrigued me, just never got round to the album in the end up.

If anything their current music suits their band name a lot more!

1 Like

Haha no way, I couldn’t imagine them featuring on a game soundtrack! I’ve read that Zoo is meant to be a bit more ‘garage’ influenced, would you say that was true?

I think I’ve done the same with one of their earlier records and wasn’t keen to revisit either, just didn’t seem to be something that I’d be quick to stick on. Very much a in the right frame of mind record whereas I could stick on the last two at any point really.

Aye yeah, I mean if you’re gonna name your band after a Joy Division song…

haven’t listened to Zoo in a while but yeah it’s definitely more garagey, sort of like a midpoint between their old and new stuff, noisy but melodic

oh and that game has some GREAT stuff on the same radio station

Wow that’s justwall to wall bangers! Could happily have that as my own driving playlist. I now understand why The Dream is There Oh Sees most streamed song of Spotify… Think if a track from Zoo fits in with those tracks then I’ll definitely dig it.

i think the guys from Wavves might have picked the music for that station. they’re definitely the presenters.

not much of a gamer but i played it a few years ago and only recognised Hot Snakes, then went back to it a couple of years later and couldn’t believe the number of bangers from bands i’d got into in the meantime

1 Like

Oh sweet! I knew none of this at all. I’m not really much of a gamer either but a great soundtrack could really make a game - the Tony Hawk’s PS playlists were always memorable and lead to me checking out tons of bands from them.

1 Like

Still can’t hear Police Truck by Dead Kennedys without seeing the Downtown Minneapolis level in my head

1 Like

Guerilla Radio in that Hangar for me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/chart

1 Like

Who shot the barber?

Tom (the Piper’s son), apparently.

1 Like

Started a new job this week so haven’t had as much chance to stick my headphones on. Lots of Daniel Johnston after this weeks sad news. Saw Rosemary’s Baby for the first time and the soundtrack is quite jarring. Rediscovering my love for the first Chk Chk Chk record which is flat out brilliant. Only new music was Iggy’s latest which I’m fully onboard with, I’ve really taken to his more spoken word approach and the backing musicians to this gel perfectly.

What did you make of Préliminaires, his 2009 jazz album? I really enjoy it. I put it on the playlist at HMV when I worked there and sold a couple off people asking what it was and being pleasantly surprised. The spiritual follow up, Après, was crap.

1 Like

1 Like