Prepare to be furious: Academic claims that fry up, fish and chips and roast dinner are NOT BRITISH

sausage, mash & gravy (peas optional)

you might be able to, but you are probably a chef

I’m counting this as toast :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

oof, the thread has just been SET ON FIRE.

takes cover

1 Like

A lot of grains and cereals were probably all first cultivated in mesapotamia.

I think Iguanadons were native to Britain? Maybe that should be the national dish

3 Likes

Weirdly always did think hash browns were an English thing - our tattie scone replacement has always been a bit disappointing to me.

Shocked Oh No GIF by YĂȘu Lu

5 Likes

I prefer a tattie scone to a hash brown, though im not a huge fan of hash browns in general tbf.

Man points out that stuff is from places, people furious, good result all round. Don’t put beans on my fry up

1 Like

Pardon me but what’s more English than nicking things off other nations?

18 Likes

Who cares where stuff comes from as long as it tastes nice, which all 3 of these do.

1 Like

I only learned last week that we didnt get potatoes here until like 1580s or something. Never has there been a more British seeming veg in existence than a potato. It was destined for us. Reckon we musyt have been joined on to Peru before the tectonic plates shifted and they got the spuds when we seperated.

I think we spent about 300 years after that regarding them as lethally dangerous as well. There were people who used to have circus shows where they’d eat one in front of crowds of disbelieving people who’d come to watch them convulse and die upon on ingestion.

Might be confusing the potato with the tomato not sure.

2 Likes

I learned that when somebody on here made a thread about how Sir Walter Raleigh brought tobacco and potatoes to the UK. Good thread.

Had hashy Bs for lunch, “academics” can’t stop me.

1 Like

You know that I’m a big fan of yours but I absolutely cannot let this behaviour slide.

*rushes into thread, gasping*

ALRIGHT, DES’REE!

6 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

well what do you call them?

Hashed Browneds