Primal Scream - 'The Original Memphis Recordings'

Original recordings and mixes from ‘Give Out But Don’t Give Up’ coming out in October along with a BBC Documentary. So, this is the perfect time to talk about ‘Give Out But Don’t Give Up’…do you like it or think it is pish?

I’m not really a fan of that record, their best stuff is on Vanishing Point, XTRMNTR (Their best record) and Evil Heat. When they ape the Rolling Stones it’s just not for me. Will still give that version of the record a listen and watch the doc as I do like Bobby Gillespie but otherwise not too fussed.

THNK TS PSH

Kind of surprised this is considered worth releasing given the source album is generally critically panned but then again I guess festival appearances mean they have a lot of casual fans who like Rocks and the other Stones-y singalong stuff.

Wasn’t this the period when they were in full out drug oblivion mode? So I guess the doc could be interesting.

I think it’s aged pretty well. It’s clearly not touching their best albums, and Rocks is overplayed, but some of the ballads are good - Cry Myself Blind and Big Jet Plane come to mind. I always liked Throb (RIP) and this seems to be the album that has his DNA all over it.

At a time when the rest of British indie music was rejecting American influences on a grand scale, it was probably a bit out of step with the times on its release.

It is definitely better than their other Stones-y album, ‘Riot City Blues’. It has some good stuff on it…‘Big Jet Plane’, ‘Call On Me’, ‘Sad & Blue’. You are right about Throb…i think he was in his element when they were making & touring this album. Apparently, they were a mess at the time. I’m sure i read that Creation spent £400,000 on the recording of the album, which was a fortune at the time.

Listening to this right now in HMV Oxford Street… On first listen I’d say it’s a worthy release; a more coherent listen and better mixes than they ended up with.

XTRMNTR Is so damn good. God I love that record. Totally agree it’s their best

Ncrdbl scns

It’s pumping through my headphones right now…haven’t given it a spin in a few years and damn does this album age well

My absolute favourites are the Live in Japan recordings when Kevin Shields was in the band. This in particular sounds monstrous.

Wiki says he wasn’t on the recording actually. He was definitely a member of sorts around that era. They were doing something right anyway :man_shrugging:

I saw them at a pre album launch show for XCLRTR at The Hammersmith Palais (RIP) with Kevin Shields and Mani in the band and it was immense :+1:

Ah man - Shoot Speed Kill Light with the four guitarists standing in a row across the front of the stage. Incredible.

Word :+1:

Was also stood in the crowd with Jarvis Cocker on one side of me and both of The Chemical Brothers on the other - felt fairly fucking hip right around that moment :sunglasses:

Picked this up the other day. Surprised by how much I’m enjoying it having never really got in to the original release, or at least it always seemed a very poor relation to the albums either side of it.

Nobody really likes Give Out But Don’t Give Up

Yeah, I guess so. Definitely more enjoyable this way though.

Yeah, this version is better. It would still have been critically panned, and is easily their weakest 90s release, but it sounds like a coherent album.

The original completely loses its way by the time Struttin’ and the title track come on.

Wait, did Kevin Sheilds join the band for a while at that time or was that just a one-off gig thing?

Remember I saw them at Glasgow Green as a young’un not really knowing who they were and loved it. Guess Shields could have been there too and I’ve not even thought about it?