Primavera 2020

The marketing started before the festival even ended and that’s now been and gone. Can’t find much else to do in the next year other than to get excited about PS20.

I’m hoping so much they continue the New Normal concept. It made the festival so much more enjoyable in lots of ways.

There’s the addition of LA, and unannounced location and Benidorm in 2019 to the 20th anniversary celebrations. I hope they all succeed. Bit dubious, but we’ll see, so long as Barcelona is as fun as this year, I’m fine with it.

Where bounce you staying now, friends?

1 Like

Wish wish wish Pavement weren’t headlining. I like them fine but what do they have to add after the last reunion? It frustrates me that they’ll take up the indie rock headline slot. And after some of the crazy spectacle of this year, they feel like a slightly safe, maybe even boringly out of step choice.

I know I’m basically alone on this but I just don’t get it (beyond that it’s a nice pay day for them of course - and that’s fine).

1 Like

Yeah, they do nowt for me. Sure there’ll be a funny clash of some kind though

PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT PAVEMENT

12 Likes

Good :blush:

2 Likes

I am very excited already! I hope for a repeat of this year but with Pavement in the Guided By Voices slot.

Will stay nearer the beach next year, didn’t make it there once in 2019.

Yeah, we were but 20 mins from the beach andn only made it there to neet feiends oj the Thursday afternoon.

Obviously we made to the beach inside, as our hotel cleaners will vouch for having swept that up.

1 Like

Burn so bright I wonder what the wave meant

The LA version is really going to have to pull something out of the bag, and likewise London, if they’re looking to do mid/large scale events for them. Both cities have had struggling festival sales the past couple of years (LA in particular has actually had a few cancelled) and I don’t see why the branding of Primavera would make people shell out money if they didn’t do for All Points East, for example.

I have extremely low expectations of this and I really hope they’re not over-stretching themselves.

2 Likes

Feels like they’re stretching themselves too thin - hard not to get atp vibes.

Also really hope they keep the new normal but as I mentioned in the other thread I think they might struggle around the midcard if they do (as in, giving the headliners, midcard and smaller acts a 50/50 split as they did this year).

From what people have said I wouldn’t mind them making the festival smaller this year, but I guess that will never happen.

What will be more interesting about the London one(if it is London) is where in buggery are they going to have it. Jabberwocky was meant to be in the Olympic Park?
Hopefully they’ve ringfenced off the cash so if this fails it doesn’t impact Barcelona and Porto

1 Like

Primavera LA is a co-production with Livenation, who are one of the largest music promoters in the world, and who have very deep pockets.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Primavera London will be run along similar lines: big commercial promoter uses independent festival’s reputation to gain kudos with customers.

1 Like

This is it, there’s hardly anywhere that would be able to run all night in London so wouldn’t feel like Primavera anyway. It would more likely be like All Points East with a different name.

1 Like

Fine I’ll just say it, Excel Centre? Also apart from holiday camps I can’t think of anywhere in the UK.

I’ve a very strong suspicion they’ll either do the London version at this place, or Alexandra Palace, and it seems about the right size for a spinoff event.

I just can’t see them doing it in any parks purely because of the amount of ballache other festivals have gone through sorting expensive licenses these past couple of years.

Can’t be that place, as the capacity is only 3,000, i.e. too small for a festival.

However, that is the company who own Printworks and the Drumsheds (location of this year’s Field Day). The latter does have a capacity of 40,000 which seems the sort of crowd size Primavera London could attract.

They haven’t fully confirmed it’s going to be A Big Festival though – and I have my doubts it will be because the Brit contingent at the Barcelona version still makes up a huge portion of the tickets sold. Might just be a few spin-off alldayers or something.

Who knows, either way I hope they don’t fuck it up.

1 Like

Yeah it’s got to be a much smaller version really. More akin to Porto. Anyone know the cap for that?

30,000 p/day

My selfish friend has decided to get married on the Friday of Primavera Barcelona so it looks like I’ll only be able go to the Saturday and then road trip it to Porto, to do that edition for the first time ever