Pro Cycling Thread 2018 - The Classics are here

Alright bike fans. Enjoyed any of the early season races? Thought not. Actually that’s harsh, the Spanish and French races have been fun. As per, the Middle East races have been pure shite. Kwiato attacks on the finial climb of the Volta Algarve and gazumps Geriant “G” Thomas for the overall. Valverde is racing like his not missed any racing. Froome thing still dragging on and dividing the peloton.

No clear form rider atm as far as I can see. Maybe Viviani has a new lease of life at QSF. Lots of sprints being shared around by them all.

Anyway, the season properly stars on Sunday with Omloop Het Nieuwsblad kicking off the Classics season on Saturday and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne on the Sunday. There’s also the Ardeche Rhone Clsssic and the Drome classic to keep the French races ticking over this weekend.

AOB

YES MATES.

Anyone going over to watch anything live? Liege-Bastonge-Liege for me.

Not for me. Obviously this whole baby thing will stop that sort of thing for the foreseeable

:frowning:

Talk of going over for the Ronde next year, but I absolutely have no desire to ride those cobbles again, so I am conflicted about whether or not I’ll go.

oh Rich, are there any good books about the Classics?

Would’ve thought you of all people could just dewey decimal that sorta thing??

Have you read Monuments? Dry but the historical elements really add to the races

Not read the following but they’re on my lists

Not so much based on a classic, but a good read about Belgian cycling culture

Thanks! Not read Monuments.

It’s good, but it’s basically a chronological telling of each edition of each monument, including changes to the course. Pretty fact heavy, but it’s worth reading.

Might try and catch some the vuelta live - the worlds premier bike race.

NOT A CLASSIC

I like facts

I think true, hardcore cycling fans will tell you that the vuelta is always a classic

it’s a Grand Tour you silly billy

looks like it could be cold and dry weatherwise

nice kit

Best kit

peng(e) as fuck, that.

well excited about the classics, m9s.

Going to miss all the action this weekend so will have to settle for the highlights. But good to be back to the proper racing. Exciting stuff! :smiley: and it’ll definitely give me the push to get back out riding instead of nights in on the turbo too.