Pro Cyling Thread

Fucking motos. Great stage, but g, landa, yates all taken out: ridiculous. Who knows how any of them would have done without that incident.

Still, don’t think any of them would have stayed with Quintana. Looking very, very strong. Dumoulin might be his biggest threat, assuming he can still time trial as strongly now he’s lost weight.

End of tvg as a gc rider? Prob should be.

How the fuck a) motos can heavily influence stages and races to that degree (still got 1st, 2nd and 9th on the stage and 1st and 2nd overall for my fantasy team) and b) that TVG is considered a GC rider is beyond me!

Obscure French rider Clement Venturini (Cofidis) wins overall at the 6 stage long Four Days of Dunkerque

I find it much funnier than I should that Cyclingnews.com have confused Dan Martin and Daniel Felipe Martinez in their start lists and stage results. Darn auto-complete.

FYI:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/Daniel_Felipe_Martinez

My favourite of theirs was that Owen Dudley was listed as Oven Duckley for a while until I let him know, heh.

1 Like

you had a go on the eurosport app yet? you can see live rider position + cadence / power info

but annoyingly it’s shown as % of max rather than as a raw number

Quintana getting mullered by Dumoulin, as expected

bae tom putting in a big effort for my fantasy squad

quintana’s losing more and more time here

2:53 down. ooft.

good effort from G there

so annoying that he crashed. would have been great having him right up there.

1 Like

Meh

more riders threatening the podium the better for the race shirley

Oh definitely, just never really been a fan. Tis all

2 Likes

Coverage just started today, and there’s about 50 riders left in the main bunch and Dumoulin is isolated already. About 20 riders in the breakaway. TvG shelled out the back already. Fucking carnage. Ambush territory

https://twitter.com/CyclingHubTV/status/864804545523855360

Great day today. Impressive performance by Dumoulin and his team to recover. Nice to see Nibali and Pinot attacking.

Terrible scenes last night in the tour of California. Toms Skuuns came down on a descent, fell over when trying to get up, then wobbled walking all over the road trying to pick up his radio, clearly in a bad way. For some reason the neutral service gave him a new bike straight away. Fortunately, the Cannondale team car pulled him out of the race as soon as it caught up to him, later confirming he was concussed with a broken collarbone.

Cycling probably has to start addressing the “hard man” image it has. Allowing riders to carry on racing when they are in no condition to race is not good for the riders, teams, sponsors or fans.

But it is too fluid a sport to control concussion like they do in rugby and NFL, where the playing parameters are fixed to a rectangular field and medical assistance is available instantly. Cycling can often see the competitors spread across 10-20kms and race organisers can’t afford to employ multitudes of doctors.

What’s the answer? Increased first responder training and helmets that ‘bleed’ when an impact is above a certain force would be a start. The more first responders there are, the more chance something like this could be prevented. Skuuns wasn’t only a danger to himself choosing to continue to ride, but his colleagues and the drivers in the caravan. he almost crashed at multiple points after returning on his bike. The helmet thing at least gives a visual indication to helpers/responders/doctors that the impact was severe and more attention is required on that particular rider.

Ultimately, the neutral service worker isn’t to blame. He isn’t qualified to make that decision. He’s there to ensure the safety of the race and equipment, directing traffic around the incident and changing broken equipment. Should he have stopped Skuuns riding? Yes. Is he able to? No. Can you imagine the uproar around it if he had tried? The culture of hard men in cycling is part of the sports fabric, but it can also harm to riders and they, riders, managers and race directors need to do more to ensure rider safety from unseen injuries

Bahrain-Merida (Prowl off, jump an prance)