Probably jumping the shark here but forgotten nirvana/bush knock-offs silverchair have the odd banger your life isn't complete without hearing

fucking dreadful

5 Likes

they make Bush look like Lou Reed

1 Like

Eesh, I forgot about that lyric…

apparently Albini told them to leave it off the record coz it was the most derivative thing on there. not wrong tbf but…

I knew I felt a chill in my spine this morning.

At the risk of further destroying my reputation - Bush was a good band (and not Nirvana knock-offs) that the average indie band could learn a lot from. They didn’t fall into the traps of mid-tempo chord progressions just for the hell of it or aimless drifting - they were excellent at building and releasing tension while keeping things melodic, and they could write a very focused song. Defending them isn’t the hill I’m going to die on, but they should get way more credit for Razorblade Suitcase. It’s a great album.

And on the topic of Silverchair, “Slave” was a great song. I’ve always thought it was really effective the way they inserted the pause before the first chorus and removed it for the second so that the riff just sucks you down that time.

And I love how “Israel’s Son” accelerates.

If you like Silverchair it’s also worth checking out the one album by The Dissociatives. Probably more for fans of later Silverchair rather than their early grungy stuff.

Really liked this back in the day. Bit of a crushing riff

I had/have no desire to listen to a full album

1 Like

literally had just got into this album the first time i properly got my heart broken as a youngun :sob: can’t listen to it still.

He is credited as a co-writer on some of the tracks so it’s not like it’s a conspiracy theory unless people imply he wrote it all.

1 Like

The implication was always that she had no real talent.

Edit: I mean being credited is not ghostwriting.

2 Likes

Patty Schemel was pretty open in her book too about how Courtney struggled with writing songs and basically needed Billy to come over to quickly knock them out.

I mean the point was the hot take in this thread which severed got :wink:

1 Like

This thread has reminded how teenage me expended loads of effort trying to find a copy of the second Silverchair album cos it wasn’t available here for some reason. Think I eventually found an import copy that was like £19. Ridiculous.

2 Likes

Creed’s first album was a masterpiece

1 Like

Those were the days.

I already have Pablo Honey… But this Japanese version has Coke Babies as a bonus track…but it costs £25! But Coke Babies… But everyone says it’s shit… But what do they know?! Aaargh

1 Like

Owned two Creed albums at one point. Jeez.

(Coke Babies is in the list of worst ever Radiohead songs.)

I think it was on a Kerrang or Metal Hammer free compilation or something like that. Swallowed is the only other song of theirs I’ve heard from start to finish. I bet you’re beyond gutted you can’t listen to that album anymore!? :grin:

1 Like