probs been done, but post and talk about your favourite album art maybe?

it’s this, for me. it’s inseperable from the rambling but always gorgeously melodic sound of the album.

the best listening experiences for me are always sort of synaesthetic, in the sense I associate the music with colours and physical textures, and emotions knotted in those things.

the music sounds and feels like scraped knees, scuffed trainers, dusty ridged fields, domestic scrub, broken fences, patches of stray woodland fringing suburbia…

it feels like free-spirited but gentle liminal misadventure; I imagine the kids on the front are stealing strawberries (maybe they are?), and I feel the blue rope netting, the deep summer green, forgotten scratches in long warm days wayward from parents.

the tapestry of guitars and softly propulsive patter of drums, that’s where they take me.

umm… yeah.

what do you like?

please write a bit about your choice and don’t just spam loads of covers. x

13 Likes

Converge-JaneDoe

Obvious choice but this. The expression is so enigmatic, you could ask 100 people to think of one feeling you think she is experiencing and every answer could be different

7 Likes

Also a big fan of Amber by Autechre

2 Likes

Black and white photo of the artist can be the most boring of covers, except if it’s like one of these

3 Likes

Album art as a visual representation of the music within. Looks exactly like the album sounds for me, warm, gauzy and noisy. Also my favourite album. So many LPs now in drone or shoegaze follow the fuzzy washes of colour format, you can almost predict what they’re going to sound like from the art.

11 Likes

That sonic youth one would make a good big thief cover

1 Like

13 Likes

In this vein I also like Bjork’s Debut

Which then makes the following album more than just a great standalone explosion of colour but a real artistic statement by way of contrast to its predecessor

7 Likes

My favourite of all time is probably Propaganda by Sparks.

Front cover:

Back cover:

Inner sleeve:

8 Likes

Wu-Tang had a lo-fi aesthetic from the get go, but I love how ODB revelled in in here. Lots of rap album covers by groups I was into at the time tended to go with straight portraiture and were fairly serious. This managed to do a bit of both of those things, but also be funny and clever.

12 Likes

In a similar vein

Protomartyr - Relatives in Descent

Something very striking about this one. Think the lovely pastel background contrasted with the face drained of colour might have something to do with it but cant quite place it.

7 Likes

It is the colour and the sound of 1969; the end of the summer of love, as the world takes a darker turn into the 70s so too does Scott Walker as his music becomes ever more experimental and melancholy, and this album cover encapsulates the last moment as even Scott himself fades into the iris.

9 Likes

Gentlemen by The Afghan Whigs

You just know exactly what you’re getting and can sense the anger / pain / fear boiling over.

7 Likes

I love the cover of Blur’s self-titled album. I mean, it’s literally a Blur. But it’s such a huge departure from the observational Englishness of the four that came before (Great Escape maybe less obviously English, but still feels in a similar vein as the others - literally the escape from the dog track once you’ve made your riches). You don’t even need to hear it to know they’d sound very different. And then the person on the cover is pushing a hospital gurney, like old Blur is dead/dying and this is the resuscitation they desperately needed.

Probably reading too much into it and overthinking it. But I think it really matches the music inside. And then the desolate back cover really fits the mood too.

11 Likes

I love Strange Geometry by The Clientele too. All their album covers are pretty good I think, but this one feels like it fits especially. It particularly pairs really well with Losing Haringey. Just that sense of warm summer evenings, feeling a bit melancholy, hearing life going on through the walls, walking with no purpose, just reflecting on stuff. Happy and sad at the same time.

I always try to take photos like this painting on the way home from the pub, but I’m a shit photographer, especially when I’ve had a couple of pints.

4 Likes

speaks for itself really

7 Likes

see also

and obviously

9 Likes

Okkervil River have a bunch of great art but I think this one wins for me- baroque, melancholy and a bit sinister. Just perfectly captures it.

Shout out to Sunbather by Deafheaven too- that cover perfectly captures the music (apparently it’s meant to be the colour of looking at the sun through closed eyes)

2 Likes

Also strong use of complementary colours for the two covers (yellows / purples and blues / oranges).

1 Like