Professional ghosting

Anyone experienced this? It’s one thing to happen with dating etc. but lately we’ve had this happen a few times with companies and tradespeople. Here are some of the ones we’ve had:

• Got a handyman recommendation from my boss at work, it’s his sister’s boyfriend. He comes over to our place, looks at the things we have to do (sounds confident about everything), even sends us a wedding card when he finds out we recently got married, then… We give him a shortlist of things that need doing, ask him what his rate is, he replies with the amount, then we reply trying to arrange a date he can come round to start work and… Ghosted. The last reply from him was in March, so I think by this point it’s official he’s ghosted. My last message to him in May was “It’s OK if you’ve reconsidered, these things happen, but can you please just let us know so that we can make other plans”. So weird, my boss has not mentioned it since the original recommendation, and I have no idea why the guy just ghosted.
  • Construction company, some back and forth to arrange a date to assess how much repointing of our brickwork will cost, agree on a date, they never turn up and don’t reply to any phone calls or emails afterwards.

I mean, I know demand is far outweighing supply at the moment, but it’s quite frustrating when people just stop responding like this.

Damn, yeah, tradespeople is one thing, but a therapist? That’d feel like a real betrayal.

5 Likes

Yeah seems fairly common with tradespeople. Had to get someone to do a minor bit of roofing work last year, most roofers on Checkatrade simply didn’t pick the phone up but the one who did came round, said he could definitely do it and that he’d send us a quote. Chased him a couple of times and nothing. Eventually we asked a different roofer who happened to be doing some work over the road, did the job in about 10 minutes on his lunch break.

3 Likes

All the time with workmen. Been through 2 joiners and about 5 sparkies because of it. The company that built our extension said they would come round and clean it once it was finished. It’s been 4 months :roll_eyes:.

The most annoying aspect is when they say they will do something then just don’t and ignore your messages don’t pissing say you are going to do something in the 1st place I’m not arsed who I give money to so long as the job is done you are the one missing out cause I’ll get the job done.

3 Likes

I’m being ghosted by a woman I purchased a jacket from her small business in March. The jacket was £80 and it never showed up. I have emailed, messages, Instagram commented many many many times and she ignores me. One day she finally messaged saying “I’ll refund you hun” but she doesn’t have my bank details as I paid with PayPal! So I start messaging again, no response EVER. Never got to refund or the jacket. I’m still pissed about it!!!

Did you open a dispute? When things like this have happened to me before, Paypal refunded me pretty quickly and the whole process was pretty straightforward.

1 Like

I did but bloody PayPal closed the case? Now I can’t open a case!

1 Like

I just need to let it go…but I can’t let it go!

That’s absolutely ridiculous, sounds pretty clear cut to me!

1 Like

Feel free to rage in this thread if you like, that’s what it’s here for

2 Likes

This happens with basically every tradesperson but I’m very guilty of it myself professionally so don’t really have grounds to complain.

Yeah it’s happened to me, and then eventually the guy was like “sorry I’ve got too much work on at the moment to deal with your crumbling late-Georgian moneysink of a house”.

(I might have embellished that a little bit)

Happened a load when I was running a recruitment round at the start of last year. People who were offered interviews not responding, people who booked in interviews just not turning up, even one guy who was offered and accepted a job just ghosting us after we sent all the paperwork.

1 Like

Honestly, I’d be happy to receive this message, at least it’d give me closure.

I can understand the temptation to just stop messaging though, I’m sure a lot of people out there just go into rage mode when they don’t get their way. I’ve tried hard to make my messages as “no worries if not” as possible to not give extra pressure if they’re stressed out, but alas, no difference.

1 Like

Pretty baller move, though now I wanna know what his deal was real bad

Happened recently to Steve McDonald about his roof yeah

2 Likes

You know it’s a common thing when it happens to Steve McDonald’s roof

3 Likes

To be fair, I thought that [mutual redacted employer] was ghosting me after being offered the job - took nearly four months from offer to start date

1 Like

We’ve been trying to find tradespeople for several jobs on our house (brickwork repointing, stair tightening, plastering, hall/landing painting), and I would say that the ration breaks down into this:

75% no reply at all to enquiries
4% reply, come around to quote and then ghost
20% reply, come around to quote and then say that they don’t want the work or don’t have time for it
1% send through a quote after several reminder e-mails, and quote so high a figure that they obviously don’t want the work, or know that we’re now desperate.

3 Likes

I accidentally ghosted a company once like this. I didn’t realise that my Github notifications were all set to “don’t you dare fucking contact me” (I’ve never used Github professionally, so never had the need to know shit it wants to tell me), and had to do a tech test for a role. Did the test, a few hours later had some questions about my solution, didn’t notice the questions till like 3 weeks later when I suddenly had a “I wonder what’s taking so long with that interview process” moment. Felt so embarrassed, replied to their questions apologetically, then… Did exactly the same thing and didn’t respond to the near-instant follow up for another week and a half. At that point I was so embarrassed I messaged them to say I was withdrawing my application.

3 Likes