Promising Young Woman

OK, going from never heard of it, to intrigued by this thread.

And @Witches I can send you a link if you want

pls x

yes please! :slight_smile:

I can’t send a DM as your profiles private, can you message me?

1 Like

Haha, @Squandered your issues with this are some of the same issues I have with I May Destroy You (bloated, muddy, etc) and, like you are with PYW, I feel totally alienated by the universal praise for IMDY. Something I thought might really resonate with me - and it had its moments - ultimately just ended up making me feel further alienated, as its descent into an unfocused PSA on consent meant that some of the types of abuse were handled really poorly and dismissively, and I felt like it was really careless and unsympathetic in its dealing with something I’ve experienced. It’s the sort of show I’d give a 3/5 after watching and a 2/5 in hindsight because I feel increasingly sour about it from a distance. I think if it were a 6 episode series I’d have liked it much more.

PYW might have had other stuff going on around the storyline but it felt pretty focused and never like it strayed too far from the main story. I do agree that how she dealt with Madison was really horrible and uncomfortable, although I think it’s ok that Cassie is hypocritical on this front - it’s the kind of illogic and disproportionate emotions that blinkered obsession/illness can lead you to. It’s obviously not healthy to just want everything to burn but I don’t find that side of things unrealistic.

[cw: assault, violence] I did like it when IMDY briefly dealt with violent thoughts towards your abuser in the final episode - I quite regularly daydream about inflicting horrific violence/revenge on someone who did something bad to me, and occasionally to others who have enabled it. It would achieve nothing but a sense of really grim schadenfreude, but that would be satisfying, for just a moment. Now you know what it’s like to feel helpless. Obviously I wouldn’t actually do it and I’m in therapy etc but I can see how that kind of thought pattern could really lead you down a really disturbing path, especially where someone’s abuse led to the death of a person you love. You have to suspend your disbelief for this particular storyline, obviously, but it’s satisfying to watch it implied that violence is happening to these men. For everyone who secretly wishes they could but can’t!

Ending…
Sure, slightly convenient, but I was starting to think the moral of the story was that nothing ever changes and life goes on for these guys. If it was just the murder, then yes you could claim self defence. But covering up the murder, burning the body, not reporting it… nah, I don’t think you can get out of that.

1 Like

In my experience you often can, you just have to click the the message icon twice
and then you can do ‘new message’ or whatever from there and you can put in the username of anyone.

However, I think may be a different setting that stops anyone from getting messages too.

1 Like

I felt exactly the same about the ending, yeah.

I have now seen this film, but have not seen I may Destroy You so not unblurred a lot of the chat.

I thought it was good, but not sure its brilliant. It feel like quite stylised which doesn’t really sit to well with me, cant really explain this better. Like squandered said the stuff towards other women felt worse than towards men. Once the video was mentioned was obvious her bf would be involved

Laughed at the bit where the guy asked why would they do that and the policeman said ‘…Cos she’s missing’

3 Likes

I was gonna say it reminded me of Killing Eve in style and just read the Director worked on Killing Eve

1 Like

Coincidentally watched this film about a week after finishing IMDY.

I thought the film was entertaining and enjoyable but IMDY blew my mind at several parts. The last episode in particular was genius.

It’s great that both exist though and people are talking about their themes.

Whilst I didn’t think PSW was anywhere near as good I think it will hopefully end up having a much bigger reach due to its length and accessibility.

Sadly I can’t imagine too many of my male cis pals wanting to watch the 12 part series but the film on the other hand has loads of access points: length, cast and soundtrack

1 Like