Proto-Punk

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

1 Like

I mean this is it really isn’t it

4 Likes

Don’t make me tap the sentimental post about my Da’!

1 Like

Let’s go to Ohio BAYBAY

4 Likes
1 Like

Most DiS post in history!? :smiley:

2 Likes

Which then gets referenced here

1 Like

First thing I thought about when I saw this thread was Richard Hell & The Voidoids who definitely influenced a lot of other acts but not sure if they count as “proto”. (17 year old me would have had VERY strong opinions on this though i’m sure)

3 Likes

2 Likes

Aye I mean by the time of the Voidoids punk is very much a thing but Blank Generation was originally a Television song from '74 so still counts?

1 Like

Always think of Voidoids as being earlier, but their actual album didn’t come out til 77 :exploding_head:

1 Like

Rocket From The Tombs - original Cleveland Punk band. Split up after two years of only playing local gigs with half of the band going on to be in Pere Ubu and the other half forming the Dead Boys. (Early versions of Sonic Reducer and 30 Seconds Over Tokyo are on this compilation)

2 Likes

Yeah it’s mad innit, sounds earlier but they’d all been around the scene a good three years or so already at least

1 Like

Best proto punk single imo (Sonic Youth version is good but this buries it)

3 Likes

From 1975

From 1974. Don’t know how well either these guys (or Debris) were at the time, so don’t know how much of an influence they actually had on punk, but they were definitely getting there about two years before it all kicked off in London

1 Like

Ooh these are all cool who I didn’t know, thanks!

1 Like

This is great!

2 Likes

Hard to tell who’s being serious these days but I was enjoying reading the discussion and it shouldn’t be disparaged.

I wasn’t being entirely serious tbh, just a bit annoying when everyone’s having a nice time in a thread that’s quite clearly

along these lines and someone starts telling people they’re wrong and then we get into massively over-analysing everything, after the original poster has said that’s not what they want to get into. Can’t we just post some good songs and have done with it.

My comment was meant mainly light-heartedly though.

1 Like