Proxy banana

• This person is in the right
  • This person is in the wrong
  • Nuanced option I will now explain

0 voters

1 Like

Bring the damn banana or pay the $8 you big baby

13 Likes

It makes no difference to the shop! The offer worked, they got their customer through the door!

1 Like

If its their policy for a massive discount (bananas cost very little) then the customer should just bring it and give it to the shop

2 Likes

Just getting very bad juju from the author.

13 Likes

Oh they’re clearly a massive pillock and I can see why the shop would tell them to do one but I still think they’re right

5 Likes

He doesn’t seem to grasp that:

The cost of a banana split is $4 + a banana.
The cost of a sundae is £7.

1 Like

It doesn’t say that a banana has to be exchanged.

It can’t be seen as part of the cost since the customer gets to keep it, they can’t keep the $4

By the letter of the law, he’s in the wrong. A banana is required for the promo, and he should just bring one.

By the spirit of the law, I’m assuming he’s in the right. It’s a bit hard to judge though, because it’s a bizarre promotion. Either it’s just a promo to give discount banana splits and the BYOB aspect is just there for novelty and PR, in which case they should be fine to give him his discount. Or, keeping bananas in stock is causing them sufficient hassle (hard to believe), and they genuinely prefer to save themselves this effort. Even in this case, they should honour the promo, because he doesn’t want one of their bananas either.

His problem was he got cocky. He had a mutual understanding with the servers that his approach was fine. Then he started making proxy cards and showing off, and got his comeuppance.

6 Likes

The vendors will know that the number of discounted sundaes they need to sell will be limited by the likelihood that their average customer can be arsed to take a banana with them. By removing the need to take a physical banana the effort needed to get a cheap sundae is reduced, meaning they will end up selling more at a discount. The banana requirement is a way of limiting the offer and nothing to do with the cost of the component parts of a sundae. A loss leader with a built in limitation on supply.

13 Likes

23 Likes

But the real banana is being given to someone else, thus saving the restaurant money. That can’t happen if he brings a proxy banana. Am I missing something here?

The store is just acknowledging how expensive bananas are. By my math, a banana split costs the customer $14. This fucker is just trying to short the banana industry.

1 Like

3 Likes

:notes: If you like proxy banana
And getting caught in the rain :musical_note:

8 Likes

They’re right. If it makes no difference to the shop if the brought banana is used in the split, it shouldn’t matter to the shop if no banana is brought or used at all.

2 Likes

Is there still a part of you that wants to live

3 Likes

Bring a banana but explain you don’t actually like them and can you just have the split, and everyone will be happy.

1 Like

But then if someone else uses his banana then the restaurant is saving money on 1 banana.

a) they don’t want free ice cream
b) the argument isn’t about the existential state of bananas

1 Like