Pubs closing down

it’s just cos you think I’m a troll for whatever unfortunate reason so I wind you up, sorry about that I was just giving my opinion and you are entitled to yours

would be nice to hear from people from time to time who think “you know what? I don’t like pubs much either!” don’t know how that’s even possible though

DiS is the most likely place I could think of to see the downsides of pubs and everyone here still loves them so it’s a lonely life for me

I don’t think you’re a troll, I just think you post deliberately inflammatory things on here a lot, often back them up with cod-philosophising, and retreat into self-pity when challenged on them.

I’m trying my best not to get drawn into them because it isn’t very good for me, I’m just pretty bored today.

3 Likes

(I think they should all be shut down unless they pay their staff a living wage. feel the same way about all businesses)

2 Likes

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/picnic-in-regents-park-4pm-saturday-29th-june/38373

yeah I was surprised by that because it’s the first time I’ve seen a suggestion that wasn’t a pub but good on wileycat for organising that

My local pub is shit and full of horrible twats. Fucking love pubs though.

Starting your point with “this is a thing I don’t enjoy - they should stop existing and everyone who enjoys them can just live with it” is a good way to get peoples backs up.

I like pubs. I would be sad if they went away (especially within 20-30 years as that’s within my lifetime). I can see how Britain’s social focus on pubs must be alienating when you’re not into them but saying, “that thing you like - I hope you don’t have it anymore” is destined to meet with a sour response.

2 Likes

“cod-philosophising” isn’t very nice. I’m trying my best, I gather you studied for a bit longer than me as I dropped out so I guess it’s all a bit surface level in that respect

But nevertheless, your view was that all pubs should disappear. Not that pubs could exist and that you could quite happily not go to them.

I’m not a religious person, but I’m not calling for the phasing out of churches and other places of worship.

If you’d even have said something like I’d like to see less of a drinking focussed culture with fewer places that celebrate this people would have been with you.

It’s the unanimity of what you said that’s rubbed people up the wrong way.

3 Likes

I’ve never liked pubs much tbh. Haven’t lived in the UK for a long time so can’t really speak to trends.

I worked in a couple of pubs between 18 & 25. One was a suburban pub and the other a city centre pub. They were both awful in their own ways. I wish cafes had been a thing at the time, would much rather have worked in a coffee shop.

There’s a lot to go into and I have nothing against people who have positive experiences of pubs and if they are the heart of the community that is fantastic.

1 Like

yeah fine I just wish the heart of the community could be something better

How do you feel about restaurants? Same premise really, but with food instead of booze.

on the topic of cod-philosophising, the relative lack of pubs/bars, pubs moving away from being centres of community to chain restaurant type places, in addition to the poor weather is why the UK is counter-revolutionary.

stick that up yer dojo.

3 Likes

And there’s the self-pity (you’ve no idea what I studied, or for how long)

I mean stuff like this

As I said, you’re dressing your personal misanthrophy up in fancy language.

2 Likes

Can we talk about our local/favourite pubs itt now.

The Broadfield: great beer selection, great garden, very strong bar snack game and do really good pies. Inside can be a bit soulless when it’s quiet as it’s a bit cavernous but other than that, GBOP, plus it’s beautiful from the outside imo. Garden is always good for chatting to strangers too

4 Likes

If bam had ever been to a cafe this thread would’ve been miles better

3 Likes

sorry I genuinely don’t understand how that is misanthropic?

still find it hilarious that some people on here take pints of beer home with them if they live near a pub.

2 Likes