Pulp Reform (again)

A krautrock version of Common People appears on the last track of The Peel Sessions. Never saw them live, so dunno if this is the precise version people are talking about, but it’s amazing

Cannae believe I’m gonna have to go to fucking TRNSMT if I want to see them. That plus the inevitable fact that the show will be DC-focussed is giving me genuine second thoughts. If they toured a (roughly) 30th anniversary celebration of Separations and the Gift-era, I’d sell body parts to attend. I’d probably even consider going to that London if necessary

1 Like

I was a big fan back in the day, seen them quite a few times, but won’t bother with this reformation.

Razzmatazz, only 10th on that list, is my favourite of theirs. Quintessential British indie pop and brilliant lyrics that still hold up nearly 30 years on.

2 Likes

A good selection from Pulp’s heyday (1991-94) in there among the obvious stuff. Good to see recognition for Inside Susan (all three parts, but mainly the titular monologue)

1 Like

Disco 2000 has no business on that list, nevermind that high.

2 Likes

Yeah, cringey song and hated the video.

His ‘n’ Hers was always my go to for Pulp. Personally it works so much better than Different Class which sort of catapulted them into a stadium band.

DC was a decent collection of singles of which Disco 2000 isn’t one. And even Sorted For Es and Whizz had that “side thing” where the inlay card for the single gave you origami instructions on how to make a pouch to hide your drugs in :roll_eyes:

Completely agree with @richie about 1991-94 being their heyday.

1 Like

I think anyone dismissing Different Class as just a “bunch of singles” is forgetting the majesty of Monday Morning, I Spy, A Feeling Called Love, Something Changed and Bar Italia. It’s a fantastic album, with “hits” being, maybe, a little overplayed. I still think Common People is a perfect single though. Just brilliant. Same for Sorted…

I came to Pulp at His N Hers and do agree that it’s a better album, but will take nothing away from the majesty that is Different Class. They’re a fantastic band and I really wish Finsbury Park wasn’t their only SE show as part of this reunion

10 Likes

I went to their Hyde Park concert whenever it was, late 00s? I also went to their two Brixton gigs around that time too.

Maybe they’ll do something similar again.

£70…ooft!

Yeah, I did one of the Brixton shows too. Was incredible.

I think I saw them on the We Love Life tour. Definitely saw them headline Glastonbury in '95, Reading '94 and Drury Lane Theatre in '94. The Drury Lane show was incredible. Menswear (who had yet to release anything) supported and there was a massive, white staircase centre stage that Jarvis performed most of the set from. We caused structural damage to the balcony we were on due to all the dancing.

1 Like

That setlist!

https://pulpwiki.net/Pulp/Live181294TheatreRoyalLondon

2 Likes

Just remembered Kentish Town Forum in '95 as well, with Minty supporting.

1 Like

I looked it up and the Hyde Park concert was in 2011 and was as expected…a big Hyde Park gig.

Those massive concerts tend to be hard for me to work out whether the band are playing a decent gig or not. But the Brixton gigs were great…and they played Razzmatazz at both.

Probably Pulp at Brixton in December 1995 with Stereolab supporting was my favourite time. I think the next day I was at Brixton again for a Prodigy all nighter with The Chemical Brothers supporting.

Signed BMS1 (an old man)

3 Likes

Fans of Pulp around this time should like this. It was broadcast with Sultans of Ping FC on first and I had it on VHS. Watched it regularly for years.

5 Likes

Forgot about The Beat.

Gary Crowley walking in a circle around the camera at the beginning…often at a park for some reason.

1 Like

Great show - I never missed it :smiley:

1 Like

Definitely got introduced to some great bands through that show.

1 Like

Never liked Disco 2000 that much until I saw them at Glastonbury 2011 on the last reunion tour, and it just sounded like one of the greatest songs ever written. Dunno why.

Was at one of the Brixtons on 2011 too, loved hearing Razzmatazz and the gig was brilliant (I think Baxter Dury was support, also great). Saw them again in Sheffield for what was supposedly their last ever show. Don’t really feel the need to see them again in a big arena/outdoor show.

3 Likes

Feel this way about Mis-Shapes, wouldn’t have it in a top 100 Pulp songs

Pulp definitely aren’t a band of hits, but still, I I can’t help but think Different Class is their least interesting album both in terms of singles and album tracks. I’m trying not to damn it with faint praise, because it is still clearly magnificent, but I have no desire to listen to the likes of Mis-Shapes, Disco 2000 and Monday Morning unless I really have to. Basically, I’d pick any other Pulp album to listen to rather than DC nowadays. I think part of the problem (which TIH also suffers from) is Chris Thomas’s production, which I have really grown to despise over the years. The guitars on both albums sound awful to me, a real clichéd curio from Britpop days that’s best forgotten.

That’s a decent pulp list compared to most, even if it is horribly wrong :wink: how the fuck the aforementioned crap DC singles plus The Fear score so highly I’ll never know. Nevertheless, I appreciate the effort to include at least some older work and b-sides (though I suspect the writer meant the 7" rather than 12" version of Countdown, which even I consider at least 3 minutes too long - both surpass the relatively turgid album version, anyway). I can forgive them missing most classics, but any Pulp list without They Suffocate At Night, My Legendary Girlfriend, His ‘n’ Hers, She’s A Lady and Wickerman is objectively wrong, null and void

2 Likes