Purple Mountains (David Berman)

Like he never went anywhere. Absolutely love it.

9 Likes

he was on this podcast recently

http://vishkhanna.com/2019/06/12/ep-481-david-berman/

interesting interview though sad hearing him talk about his depression and stuff

As I said on the new releases thread - he’s obviously a brilliant songwriter and the lyrics are amazing. I’ve not listened to mush of his stuff before but I can really hear why people love him.

My problem is with the music. Some of the songs work really well but over all I find the bland mid-paced straight-off-the-shelf Americana of the backing music a little wearing over the time. I’d love to hear him being more adventurous with the music like someone like Jason Molina was.

Loving the album though Berman could release a record of him just strumming open A and I would say it was a work of genius, such is my obsession.

His writing has changed quite significantly imo, much more straightforward and ‘open’ where SJ stuff was a bit more abstract. Of course he still is able to tell a good story in his songs which is nice, and his imagery is also still very potent. Some of the music is a bit anonymous but the lyrics are always what did it for me so I don’t mind.

Never thought we’d get more music from him, and it’s very good. Some of his all time best songs on it

2 Likes

Bring back Stephen Malkamus. He works far better under the thumb of David Berman than on his own.

I believe David Berman has expressed a desire to write SM with lyrics in the past as he didn’t like the lyrics on Jicks albums :laughing:

1 Like

He’s doing a Reddit AMA on Monday, which will be worth a read.

2 Likes

Haven’t heard much of Silver Jews but loving the Purple Mountains album.

1 Like

Nights That Won’t Happen :broken_heart:

2 Likes

I prefer it to the Silver Jews. Very good album.

Thought the record was brilliant. Cheers.

‘Shes Making Friends, I’m Turning Stranger’, straight fire.

1 Like

revealed there’ll be euro dates in Feb/march next year :raised_hands:

4 Likes

v solid album i reckon

On first few listens I thought the second half dropped off but it’s actually just fucking sublime. A really special and well-constructed album that has been properly laboured over. Feel lucky to listen in, and it’s a thrill to think I can spend more time with it.

1 Like

This album has really grown on me. Still wish the music was a bit less generic but most of the songs are so strong. The only thing about I still really can’t stand is that mawkish song about his mother - rhyming ‘mother’s son’ and ‘genuine’ is pretty near unforgivable too.

Can’t stop listening to this. So grateful for its existence.

Certainly my favourite album of the year - and maybe the thing I’ve most connected with in a long while. Just so well written, so well sequenced etc. Yep - not an ounce of musical innovation but it truly does feel like a decade of energy, passion, enthusiasm, lyricism, etc to me.

Sometimes albums from artists every few years can feel like checking in with old friends. This feels like a life story from a fascinating new acquaintance.

4 Likes