Put-on voices that certain groups of people do

Linked to someone pointing out that everyone on The Mash Report speaks in that overly serious, Chris Morris aping way, are there any other groups of people who speak in a particularly put-on way? For example, a lot of the male presenters on Radio 1 speak in this overly jovial, slightly ironic tone, and a lot of the male presenters on Radio 6 speak in a overly dour, northern accent

NO YOU’RE A BAD THREAD IDEA

1 Like

That overly excitable high pitched thing commentators do to make even the most dull sporting events sound thrilling.

it’s almost as if they’re performances

See also overly shouty voice that every wrestler in history uses to show they mean business.

I like it when mums do that mum “aw are you alright” sort of voice
y’know

2 Likes

That stupid fucking voice that bloke from Wild Beasts does

3 Likes

People talking to their pets / babies in high pitched voices sounding like fools

3 Likes

PEOPLE ON RADIO 4 WHO GO UP AT THE START OF A SENTENCE… and then down at the end

1 Like

People selling newspapers in town centres

cardiff edition: Wweeeeeeeeeeeeesstern mail andekkkkkkkkkooooo

4 Likes

All (English) footballers seem to have very similar accents in those post-match interviews they have, slightly flat and monotonous. This isn’t really put-on though, so isn’t relevant.

What about phrases that groups of people use? And not like cliches or terminology specific to … sorry just realised I cannot be fucked with this post

People reading out the results on Final Score

Ronny Gill! Ronny Gill!

(this won’t make sense if you’ve not lived in Newcastle, I don’t think. so just ignore me)

2 Likes

think this is mostly women so apologies for the sexism but that thing some English millennials do when they go “like oh my gaaaawd” half american style but with this kinda dull numbing English accent underneath it. Horrible

Every local commercial radio DJ anywhere in the country

I always find it weird and a bit patronising, and so I always talk to kids in my normal voice.

I got ticked off for it once by a child’s parents, but then years later that kid said that he always like me because I never talked down to him.

so ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

this is also the Top Gear voice

Sounds nice, I hope to experience it one day!

Edit: A friend of mine does it very, very occasionally and it’s one of my favourite things about her.

usually accompanied by the sideways head tilt

similar to the newspaper sellers voice - but the market fruit and veg man universal shouty voice