Quick translation question (rolling)

Without knowing the full context, I’d say yeah, ‘installer’ is fine,

Installation engineer?

def go wth engineer imo

3 Likes

Engineer.

1 Like

Isn’t ‘The Installer’ the new Jason Statham film? Though it could equally be ‘The Engineer’ to be fair.

1 Like

He’s got to keep your ping below 20ms, otherwise his heart explodes.

2 Likes

Ha ha! The Crank films are great

My brain is about to completely shut down after a lot of translation work today. Someone please help: At a film festival, you sometimes have a section dedicated entirely to one director. Not a retrospective and not a masterclass, but like a… portrait. Is what we call it over here, anyway (Director’s Portrait or similar). What would you call it?

Strand

Edit: actually, maybe not when referring to an individual director.

Yeah, exactly. The strand/section should be titled something like “Director’s Portrait: Name Of Director”

Maybe Featured Director could work?

“In Focus: Name of Director”

Also includes a pun for all the elite cineastes.

“Focus on”

Edit: oh, fuck off.

1 Like

Good call. Thanks, marckee. Decided not to sully this moment with a cheap like.

showcase?

1 Like

Ok, so, if you had to explain to someone what “sleight of hand” means without using those words, how would you explain it? I don’t think it means quite what I thought it means, and I have to translate a sentence containing it in a very limited space/word count.

Trickery or misdirection.

1 Like

a feat (ie magic trick) accomplished using physically dextrous skill

1 Like

Thanks pals.

Sleight of hand refers to fine motor skills when used by performing artists in different art forms to entertain or manipulate. It is closely associated with close-up magic, card magic, card flourishing and stealing

^from wikipedia

i think the important bit is it relates to the physical skill used in manipulating the card (or whatever) not just any trick

1 Like

Legerdemain