Quiet Quitting

it me

2 Likes

Not quite the same level as nursing and doctors etc but I feel very much obliged to run after school clubs because no one else will (and have done every year so you can’t just randomly stop).

Wish I had the bollocks to just say nahhhh

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking about putting teaching in the same bracket… You could make an argument for most public services I reckon

1 Like

Think anything that relies on people’s empathy and care for the vulnerable absolutely takes the piss out of its employees. Generally the nurses, teachers, charity workers etc. I know put in so much unpaid overtime because if they don’t kids, patients etc. Simply won’t get looked after.

There are huge sectors that rely on and exploit this massively (and by all accounts it’s got unsurprisingly progressively worse under the tories)

10 Likes

Another way the Lovecraftian horrors of the online community self realise their own monsters in the guise of detached commentary, making the powers of oppression more significant than before they had began. Back into the deep with ye!

I didn’t even know that this was a common term when I started that thread. I was familiar with the term ghosting, which was popularised through online dating. I was surprised how many tradespeople we contacted preferred WhatsApp as a communication tool, and how many just suddenly stop responding, hence the ghosting.

I have no idea if it was common before that they would just stop answering your calls even after having communicated for a while, as it’s only recently that I’ve had the need to find tradespeople, but the uniqueness of suddenly stopping the conversation midsentence when there was no obvious animosity beforehand seems most closely related to someone just hanging up on the phone.

Would hate to just work my contracted hours. I much prefer some days to do an early or late call and then feel I have the right to clock off at 3:30 on a Friday.

1 Like

Do you not have any sort of flexi set up? Not that I expect my job to be typical, but doing what you just described would be exactly “doing my contracted hours” for my role

As long as I meet my hours per week and attend any relevant meetings, it doesn’t really matter when I work them

we have flexi at work so if I have to stay an extra hour I get the time back

but that doesn’t really feel like overworking to me. Science doesn’t rest / can’t leave certain things until tomorrow

2 Likes

Flexi and this are very different aren’t they? Quiet Quitting seems to be “not working over your expected hours when you’re not getting anything in return”?

Then again I only heard this term for the first time via this thread so I might be very wrong.

3 Likes

Nope! I am meant to work 9-5:30 but don’t think I’ve ever done that. I work with people in the US and APAC so if I quiet quit, I’ll probably rarely get anything done.

Also think if you wanna make more money or get promotions, you can’t just be doing job description. Find it a bit odd on here sometimes that it’s seemed a bit frowned upon to want that?? We have reviews at my place that doing the job spec is like rated at a 3 out of 5 stars or something like that. So they ain’t promoting 3 out of 5 stars.

2 Likes

Quiet quitting is doing the job spec. So if your boss said hey we have this new project I want you to be involved with, you’d go “nah, not in my job spec to do that”

Different orgs affect that too. Literally no such thing as a promotion or pay rise here - want more money, cool, apply for a new role at a higher pay band. Obviously you have to have developed the skills for it based on your current role, but it’s not like doing your current role better = any chance of more money

Does mean that yeah some people get to X pay band which is comfortable for the life they want to lead, then either just stay in the role forever or dot about sideways into other roles at same pay that interest them more. Cultural thing innit

2 Likes

that’s it I think. Those at my work who buzz about doing more than required are usually those who expect/aspire to get a promotion when there’s one available. Those who do what’s required and nothing more usually have no progression aspirations and are quite happy as is

3 Likes

Never had a job where a promotion is performance or pay rise based (much like JP) so guess its somewhat an alien concept to me.

1 Like

Yeah exactly. I don’t see the point in working if I’m not going to be constantly trying to make more money?! And to do that, you have to go above your job spec.
I ain’t here for a laugh mate!! Gimme the money :moneybag:

I had a poor performance review this year, the results of which were … we need you to do better next year or else there may be consequences in 12 months time

So yeah trying to fit my head into corporate high powered mindsets just isn’t going to work

Live
Laugh
Earn

1 Like

Also might be worth noting that as women get paid less than men, men can usually get away with “quiet quitting” with little to no consequences. Women have to work harder to be seen at the same level as a bare minimum male worker.

5 Likes

what if you’re not motivated by more money

2 Likes