R.E.M. Listening Club

Ok, I think I specifically typed REM Green and the first result was a playlist called Green Remastered etc…, and had the right graphics. For me it I couldn’t see the original on the search result

It’s no coincidence that R.E.M.'s first album on a major label is also their most confident and upfront sounding album to date. Stripes vocals are right out there in the front of the mix and the lyrics to a song were even included in the album booklet for the first time.

There are some really strong songs on this album as mentioned above but this album features the first of their songs I really don’t like in The wrong Child. I just can’t get on with the duel vocals that seem to be battling each other throughout the whole song.

I think You Are The Everything is a better song than Losing My Religion. How do you like them apples?

Shut down the Smashing Pumpkins thread(s). This is now the home of the hot take :fire::fire::fire:

I would agree with everything in your post bar the confrontational tone.

Not directed at you, my friend.

Having given it two or three spins in the last listening week, I think Green might be my favourite R.E.M. album. Much as I love and admire many R.E.M. albums, Green just really does it for me. Maybe a nostalgia thing as the late 80s was when I was first getting into music.

I think that’s exactly it. I have the same with the run from Monster up to and including Up.

Those albums are so intrinsically linked to growing up that I think I’m going to find it almost impossible to be objective with any of them.

Ok, I think we’re finished with Green…so onto Warner Brothers R.E.M album No. 2!

A little context from its review on Pitchfork:

It was probably overstated, but a few years ago the podcast 99% Invisible made a provocative argument for R.E.M.’s Out of Time as the most politically significant album in American history—not for its content, but for its packaging. The band, the story goes, was wary of releasing the CD in a longbox, the superfluous cardboard packaging that compact discs came in during the format’s early years, so an idealistic Warner Brothers executive pitched them on the idea of putting that wasted packaging to use. The back of the box would include a Rock the Vote petition lobbying senators to support a bill enabling citizens to register to vote at DMVs or through the mail. Those petitions flowed into Congress by the thousands, and the bill eventually passed, leading to a historic influx of new young voters.

The podcast’s numbers are a little fuzzy, so it may be a stretch to directly credit R.E.M. for the bill’s passage. But if nothing else, the story speaks to the band’s stature at the time. In 1991, R.E.M. weren’t just huge; they were important, and the Rock the Vote petition certainly wouldn’t have had the same impact if it hadn’t been packaged around such an enormously popular record. Out of Time gave the band their biggest hit single, netted them three Grammys, and eventually sold more than 18 million copies worldwide, numbers that insured the band the capital to do more or less whatever they wanted for the rest of their career.

Whoa, here we go!

Out of Time

Really vividly remember writing out my Christmas list when I was thirteen and this album, on cassette, was top of the list.

Near Wild Heaven blows everything else on this album out of the water.

There, I said it.

Oooooft! He’s just dissed Country Feedback, lads.

Ordered a copy of this off the back of this thread :

Anyone read it? Seems pretty comprehensive. I was going to pick up a copy of Talk About The Passion, but couldn’t find the new version of the book going for anything less than daft money.

I think Talk About The Passion is out of print now. I bought a second hand copy for about a fiver a couple of months back, then promptly lost it. Was hoping to read it along with this thread. It’s somewhere in the house, but no idea where.

The wordless chorus to ‘Belong’…wow!

Seem to remember the RU Talkin R.E.M. guys being a bit underwhelmed by Country Feedback and surprised it being such a fan favourite. I think for Brits at least, the Jools live version played a part in this.

Only really listened properly to the Time Side so far.

Radio Song - fun, if a little close to funk for comfort

I still love Losing My Religion - a victim of its ubiquity, but the writing and arrangement are great.

Low - I really like this one, it’s a good change of pace between two big hitters. I’ve seen it being written off as being drab, but it’s a beautiful slow burner/builder.

Near Wild Heaven - obviously one of their best. Great to hear a Mike Mills lead worth its name - wish the vocals weren’t double tracked though.

Endgame - bit meh. Sounds like a Bryter Layter outtake, though does act as another palate cleanser between two biggies.

Low is great. In fact, I may have voted for it as my favourite on Out of Time in the other thread.

Jut listened to Out Of Time for 1st time in years.

If only Radio Song & Shiny Happy People were given the boot, it would be a near perfect record
Absolutely love Low, Half A World Away & Country Feedback. 3 top ten R.E.M. songs.

Think this tracklist would work pretty well.

1. Losing My Religion
  2. Near Wild Heaven
  3. Low
  4. Half A World Away
  5. Endgame
  6. Belong
  7. Texarkana
  8. Country Feedback
  9. Me In Honey

Ok, Out of Time. I haven’t listened to this in years. As others may have pointed out, it doesn’t start well with Radio Song. Then, if you are the type to go off songs that, while good, have been overplayed massively, Losing My Religion isn’t very tempting either. Then you have Low. I have to admit I’m not a massive fan. I didn’t like it when I first heard it, the it grew on me, now I’m back to being ambivalent about it. So, for me, we are the fourth song in before the album really kicks off. No wonder I rarely reach for it with a wealth of other REM albums to go for, many with very good opening sequences.

Near Wild Heaven, along with Half a World Away, Texarkana and Country Feedback are top drawer (as obviously LMR is too…).

I will even given Shiny Happy People a thumbs up for succeeding admirably in it’s intentions, without every outstaying it’s welcome in my head.

Belong and Me in Honey I don’t care for either really. I did like them in my teens when I first heard them but they just don’t seem all that special now.

Overall I think it’s a bit of a mixed bag. Some great highs but some pretty naff lows, and for me way more lows than any previous REM record.