R.E.M Thread

This is correct. My favorite after Murmur.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to New Adventures this week. It’s still perfect, and still my favourite before Murmur. So much variety in styles and a consistently high standard, going a few places they hadn’t much before too. If there had been any justice, Be Mine would have been a real hit. Ebow is easily top 10 REM, and maybe 5.

4 Likes

Stereophonics thought so too, so they plundered the riff and gave it their own shot a couple of years later :face_vomiting:

really, which song was that?

Pick A Part That’s New

(I’m going purely from memory here and I won’t be subjecting myself to a fresh listen to see how right or wrong I am)

Welp

The guitar sound/strumming pattern is very similar but don’t think it’s a similar song overall

Sign me up for the Chronic Town cassette player!

2 Likes

I guess this is for it’s 40th anniversary in August?

Pretty cool merch that

even thinking about this song gets me weirdly emotional. His voice is so perfect here

2 Likes

Only discovered this mix fairly recently although it’s been knocking around for a while; one of Thom Yorke’s favourite songs folks. Especially good this version

1 Like

Chronic Town picture disc arrived the other day.

First time I’ve heard it in ages. What a wonderful 20 minutes of music. My 1 year old actually started dancing.

5 Likes

If I didn’t already have a blue RSD vinyl of Chronic Town, with my favourite version of Gardening at Night on, I’d have been on this. Incredible EP.

1 Like

Automatic for the People came out 30 years ago today

10 Likes

I remember the original cassettes and CD trays were all yellow plastic for some (ecological?) reason that I have completely forgotten

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember buying it and the bright yellow plastic CD holder component thing from WH Smith’s in Brent Cross on the week of its release on a Saturday.

A long long queue at Smith’s. Everyone in the queue either had a copy of Automatic or ABBA - Gold which must have come out that week or around then too.

3 Likes

Just two weeks earlier!

Oh yeah, that is right…I still see those yellow tray ones around in second hand shops.

1 Like

AFTP was never my favourite album of theirs (probably Life’s Rich Pageant or Document), but listening now there’s so much quality on it, and it sounds amazing. Best track for me is still Nightswimming, but Sweetness Follows has also grown on me over the years.

Only just realised that AFTP is broken up into the ‘Drive’ side and the ‘Ride’ side, rather than A/B or 1/2. It’s printed on the label and everything! No idea how I’ve missed that until now….

2 Likes