R.E.M Thread

Hmm it’s a song I am very sick of hearing and not very representitive of the band despite largely defining them in the eyes of a huge number of people - but all that aside I’d say it’s a decent song.

2 Likes

Saw them in 95 on the Monster tour. Never saw them again and I don’t really know why. I kind of hope they don’t reform.

I saw them on that tour too! Second day of the Milton Keynes Bowl dates. They were supported by Sleeper, Radiohead and the Cranberries. Strange to think there was a time when the Cranberries were a bigger band than Radiohead.

Oh it was also the very first concert I ever went to and it was AMAZING.

@beastie post the setlists!

Oof!

i imagine the monster stuff was really fun live

1 Like

The support bands you saw were a lot better than the one’s I saw. Magnapop, The Beautiful South and Belly.

Was a great gig. Country Feedback into Losing My Religion was a highlight I particularly REMember.

First time I saw them was Glastonbury 2003, don’t know if it was just where I was standing or what but the bit when the guitar comes in on Drive was fucking immense. Also Electrolite was really great.

2 Likes

I think I still have a recording of the concert on tape somewhere, as Radio 1 did a live broadcast of it too.

Michael Stipe is doing a talk about his art at the ICA next month FYI

https://www.ica.art/on/learning/michael-stipe-and-miranda-sawyer-volume-1

1 Like

Stay indoors that day as I loved Monster so much and taped that whole gig off the radio. What a set.

Only saw them once myself, despite then comfortably being in my top 3 bands ever since… Well, just about the first time I heard them.

Recall waiting the whole weekend to see them and when they arrived on stage, the crowd was flat and they opened with a couple of songs I barely knew. I get peer-pressured into going to The Prodigy but as I neared the stage, I realised ‘what am I doing?!’ and sprinted back.

Missed a couple of belters and half of the set wasn’t amazing due to the LP it was covering, but that run of Electrolite, One I love, Losing my religion and Fall on me was incredible and made it worthwhile. But the highlight was Let me in. Had no idea they’d play that live and it was a dream come true, as a huge fan of Monster.

3 Likes

Saw them on that tour too, also my first ever gig. They were immense.

2 Likes

I was at the other night with Blur as the support. One of the best shows I ever saw I think

2 Likes

This was my first gig. 13 years old.

1 Like

REM related stuff:

Michael Stipe is doing a conversation with Miranda Sawyer/Q&A thing at The ICA on Saturday 1st September.

Apologies. Roastthemonaspit beat me a few days to this. I was too lazy and didn’t even go up thread a short while.

I saw them supporting U2 at Milton Keynes bowl in 1985. Also at the NEC on the green tour. So so good.

Whilst we are comparing set lists, this was the one and only time I saw them

Stereolab supported.

2 Likes