R.E.M Thread

When the bass rises just before the last chorus too. Immediate boner.

I may the only persona alive who prefers mid-period (Out of Time - Reveal) to early (chronic town - document) REM. Have tried with murmur multiple times - nice in a jangly sort-of-way if thatā€™s your bag, but I really struggle to see why itā€™s held in such high regard.

Not going for hot-take - actually hoping someone can explain what Iā€™m missing.

1 Like

I think theyā€™re stronger albums, but a lot of my favourite songs are on earlier albums

1 Like

interestingly Murmur got a bit of a remaster that made the production cleaner, iā€™m not sure what version you heard or whether it would make that much difference to a casual ear, but a big part of Murmurā€™s appeal was the mysterious, murky production where you could barely make out vocal phrases. ā€˜nice in a jangly-sort of wayā€™ makes me think more of Reckoning, but yeah it still describes Murmur pretty well. Chronic Town is sublime. another thing i guess is that jangly sound has been imitated so much in the years since, whereas Out of Time, New Adventures etc have this really unique anthemic-but-weird major label band sound.

1 Like

New Adventures is my absolute undisputed favourite, closely followed by Automatic and Murmur.

I was ever so slightly annoyed that, the one time I saw them, they only played one song from New Adventures. But that song was Electrolite, and they opened with Orange Crush, and Imitation of Life was beautiful, so I canā€™t really complain.

I was probably about 15 in the early 90s when I heard Carnival Of Sorts for the first time. Blew me away. Iā€™d never heard anything like that before.

1 Like

Youā€™re not alone. As much as I love the early albums, Out of Time and Automatic are always going to mean the most to me.

This is how I go about new (to me) artists with large back catalogs, About every six months, randomly pick an album, usually based on what cover I like the look of. Itā€™s kind nice, as it gives each album time to sink in , like when they came out but you donā€™t have to wait 3 years for a new one. Takes some restraint when itā€™s someone good not to just listen through the whole lot though.

3 Likes

A good plan. I need to do this with the Fall. After ignoring them for my whole life I have really got into a lot of their stuff since he died but I need to go through the actual records.

1 Like

Inspired by this thread I stuck on the early years best of And I Feel Fine, which is very good. Donā€™t Go Back to Rockville is a total tune, never noticed before for some reason.

Also, listening to The One I Love I heard the chorus (ie FIIIIRE) as the fire emoji :fire::fire::fire::fire:, which is possibly an indication that Iā€™ve been spending too much time on the internet

1 Like
1 Like

Ah, Reckoningā€¦ definitely my top REM record. Pretty much perfect from start to finish.

1 Like

I listened to Lifes Rich Pageant all the way through on the train home last night, for the first time in yonks. What a record. Forgotten how much I love The Flowers of Guatemala.

2 Likes

I ā€œrediscoveredā€ that song myself yesterday! Amazed itā€™s passed me by for so long.

I sometimes think thatā€™s the perfect guitar solo. Itā€™s just so simple and tasteful and yet really elevates the song. Love Peter Buckā€™s playing so much.

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to the ā€˜Monsterā€™ re-issue. Hopefully, there will be a 1995 show on the bonus disc.

1 Like

Live at The BBC boxset coming
https://www.amazon.co.uk/R-M-At-BBC/dp/B07G21YF12/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=sliupeyethele-21&linkId=d840f65dd067aaf5d67a9913318a3795&language=en_GB

1 Like

Iā€™ve a spare ticket for Michael Stipeā€™s Q&A thing at The ICA on Saturday. A friend of mine canā€™t make it. The ticket is a freebie.

The same. Was massively disappointed by it at the time but I now seem to play it more than any of the others.

Have love for all of the albums, perhaps bar Around The Sun, although even that has ā€˜Leaving New Yorkā€™.

Fav is Green. Would often walk across the common near my home listening to it, ā„¢I built the walls and I will be the one to knock them down ".

The sweet melancholy of youth.

1 Like