R.E.M Thread

yes @drake

1 Like

Aye, it is a bit nothingy in a visual sense. Not really a fan of that record either tbh. Apart from Near Wild Heaven.

Whilst it’s not one of their better albums it does contain two of their best songs. Losing My Religion and Country Feedback. It’s also the first REM I heard and got into.

3 Likes

Look what I found in a record shop today!

4 Likes

They look so young!

2 Likes

We all did 35 years ago.

1 Like

And Me In Honey. My favourite song on that album.

1 Like

And Texarkana, which is Secret Weapon Mike Mills’ highlight on the record.

2 Likes

I think we all can just agree that ‘Out of Time’ is an excellent album.

1 Like

i posted it upthread but i think the Out of Time material really came into its own on mTV Unplugged.

3 Likes

Radio Song is the low point for me. I can get on with Shiny Happy People, which many seem to struggle with, but the thought of Radio Song has put me off listening to Out Of Time a lot more than I otherwise would have. The KRS-One rap just screams ‘transparent down-with-the-kids marketing decision’.

5 Likes

it was a weird time for this kind of thing, Sonic Youth and Chuck D was similarly ham-fisted

2 Likes

That was so, so shit.

Goo is still their best album though

3 Likes

AFTP seems to be pretty unanimous as far as voting goes but I’m enjoying seeing the battles for the other album votes. Be interesting to see which songs make the final cut for the DiS ‘best of’

Speaking of which, time for a beastly escapade of a double whammy…

Favorite track on Monster

• What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?
  • Crush with Eyeliner
  • King of Comedy
  • I Don’t Sleep, I Dream
  • Star 69
  • Strange Currencies
  • Tongue
  • Bang and Blame
  • I Took Your Name
  • Let Me In
  • Circus Envy
  • You

0 voters

Favorite track on New Adventures in Hi-Fi

• How the West Was Won and Where It Got Us
  • The Wake-Up Bomb
  • New Test Leper
  • Undertow
  • E-Bow the Letter
  • Leave
  • Departure
  • Bittersweet Me
  • Be Mine
  • Binky the Doormat
  • Zither
  • So Fast, So Numb
  • Low Desert
  • Electrolite

0 voters

The chorus of radio song is beautiful, the rest is awful

3 Likes

i randomly woke up with How The West Was Won in my head this morning. no match for E-Bow but it’s a seriously underrated song in their repertoire

2 Likes

I onlty heard Bang and Blame for the first time this week. Amazed it’s past me by and wa sso successful