R.E.M Thread

Pleasantly surprised to see “Leave” and “Let Me In” top the pile - both absolutely devastating, in the best possible way

I think in all but one album I’ve gone for the second most popular. Take your indie points and shove em up your ass!

Yeah, one reason I kinda hate OOT is the sequence. I really don’t like the first three tracks. I understand how Losing My Religion is pretty great but I’ve heard it far too much. Radio Song and Low sound like B-sides to me.

First time I heard Leave was watching A Life Less Ordinary at the cinema, not the best film but one of the best uses of a piece of music in a film. New Adventures is my favourite REM album, I love every song on it.

Thank you for mentioning Be Mine. Obviously one of the best songs on NAIHF.

‘Me In Honey’ is such a great song.

I made an account just to give Tongue it’s due.

Used to have New Adventures on tape. My friend bought a midi system that had been on display in Trago Mills and when he got home it had the tape in it. It had obviously been used as a good test product for proving the Hi-Fi’s capabilities. He hated the album so he gave it to me.

Aptly named album, then.

yeah, i do remember when i first heard it, i did kind of think it sounded like the future in a weird way. But it seems so trad now. Certainly has a special vibe.

when are we starting rem club?

are we allowed to talk about rem club?

Listening to Murmur now :ok_hand:t2:

Also been listening to that Live at the Olympia record as well as the Unplugged albums. Think if I discovered a time machine those performances might be the first places I stopped

Going through their back catalogue only starting with Collapse Into Now and working backwards.

Think I might only have listened to that once before all the way through - it’s largely forgettable. Might be a slow burner but doesn’t grab me like at all like everything up to and including Up did on first listen.

Really think Accelerate has some decent bangers on. Some of their latter day straight-up rock tracks would stand up to strong scrutiny if they were part of the back catalogue of most other bands.

I don’t know why I’ve never properly explored the last three records, they all kind of merge into one for me. So it would be interesting to see people’s favorite tracks on each of these.

Favorite track on Around the Sun

• “Leaving New York”
  • “Electron Blue”
  • “The Outsiders”
  • “Make It All Okay”
  • “Final Straw”
  • “I Wanted to Be Wrong”
  • “Wanderlust”
  • “Boy in the Well”
  • “Aftermath”
  • “High Speed Train”
  • “The Worst Joke Ever”
  • “The Ascent of Man”
  • “Around the Sun”

0 voters

Accelerate

• “Living Well Is the Best Revenge”
  • “Man-Sized Wreath”
  • “Supernatural Superserious”
  • “Hollow Man”
  • “Houston”
  • “Accelerate”
  • “Until the Day Is Done”
  • “Mr. Richards”
  • “Sing for the Submarine”
  • “Horse to Water”
  • “I’m Gonna DJ”

0 voters

Collapse into Now

• “Discoverer”
  • “All the Best”
  • “Überlin”
  • “Oh My Heart”
  • “It Happened Today”
  • “Every Day Is Yours to Win”
  • “Mine Smell Like Honey”
  • “Walk It Back”
  • “Alligator_Aviator_Autopilot_Antimatter”
  • “That Someone Is You”
  • “Me, Marlon Brando, Marlon Brando and I”
  • “Blue”

0 voters

edit: nothing to see here

Yeah, sorry I didn’t get chance to log on here yesterday, so missed my own first deadline. Good start!

Just making a new thread now, so watch this space…

Ooooh exciting…:grinning: