R.E.M Thread

I like the improved clarity of the vocals, but the song just ain’t the same without that ‘dugga dugga dugga’ guitar overdub in the background.

Hugely looking forward to this reissue - Monster is an incredible album and deserves much more praise and love.

Not doing Stipe’s vocals any favours by.pushing them forward in this

3 Likes

Really wish I hadn’t given away my cassette copy of Monster when I was a teenager. Played it so much I nearly wore it out.

Won’t be getting this reissue but I’m happy it’s getting its due. It’s a great album.

2 Likes

There’s a 2 CD version available to preorder. Original album plus the remixed version.

2 Likes

2Lp version also.
Reckon the remix version is going to sound tame compared to the version we know and love.

I’d never seen that before, thanks for posting! I particularly love how Sarah Jessica Parker/SNL coined “R.E.M Speedwagon” a few years before Alan Partridge :smiley:

1 Like

All this ‘Monster’ talk has reminded me i have a cool ‘Monster’ enamel pin badge which was given away free with the ‘Strange Currencies’ 7-inch single.

1 Like

All this Monster talk has reminded me that I was entertaining the thought of getting the ‘Monster’ head art (in focus) on my arm as my first tattoo a while back. Prob with a wrap around message. That tour was my first ever gig, still have the ticket and my adoration for R.E.M. as all that is right with music/life knows no bounds.

Is this a good idea?

• Yay
  • Nay

0 voters

Yeah, don’t really understand the removal of that. Enjoyed the backing vocals coming in a bit louder as well, especially played loud on speakers.
Still might be my favorite REM song, a great lyric.

Same, first ever gig…

3 Likes

:smile: I’d forgotten the REM Speedwagon gag.

Weird to lose the tremolo guitar for sure. Why on earth?

Still, it’s also frustrating because the drums and bass are much better sounding. Don’t get why they’d mess with it so much though.

Amazing. I was at Slane earlier that summer. Oasis were support and Liam got into an argument with the crowd.

1 Like

Not my very first but one of them, saw them in Cardiff Arms Park on that 95 gig tour. Belly were the only support I cared about but only about five people listened to them. I think del amitri came on before rem (remember them???)

Other highlights included:

• A forgetful Stipe asking his bandmates about the lyrics of Begin The Begin
  • The subsequent arrival of an R.E.M. songbook for swotting purposes :rofl:
  • Berry’s epic monobrow
  • Stipe playing rudimentary noise guitar on I Don’t Sleep, I Dream
  • The relatively unadorned version of Let Me In - Mills’ guitar part is painfully sad here
1 Like

Think we had magna pop, beautiful South and one other

I had to suffer through Starsailor before my one and only R.E.M. gig :nauseated_face:

oh god, I think I did too. The 2003 tour?

Terrorvision?

Yep. Dublin for me