R.E.M Thread

Had a few beers and listening to Automatic for the People. An album I never put on because my mind immediately goes to Everybody Hurts which I never need to hear again.

But fuck me is Try Not To Breathe one of the best recordings of all time.

7 Likes

Quite possibly the reason I donā€™t go back to it often, but youā€™re right.

I can never start Out of Time because of Radio Song

2 Likes

Sweetness, Monty, Ignoreland is one of the best 1.2.3s in music

1 Like

Everybody Hurts works well in the context of the album, as mawkish and overplayed it is.

1 Like

Nightswimming into Find The River is one of the greatest conclusions to any album also imo.

6 Likes

Looks like a reissue of Up is finally on the way.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrjSjMaJrRQ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

5 Likes

Nice. Good album.

1 Like

Oof. Always loved this album, a strange somber grown-up thing.

ā€¦ and I loved the little ā€˜thank youā€™ on the actual disc.

3 Likes

I love that too but mainly because in the May 1999 Q magazineā€™s cash for questions to Michael Stipe they printed my question about it which young me thought was the best thing ever:

17 Likes

Oh wow, fantastic!

1 Like

As part of the reissue Iā€™d love to hear more from those sessions and get to know how they arriverd at that album. With Bill leaving, adapting to the new norm, the change in soundā€¦ It would be hugely interesting to me, even if I donā€™t think weā€™ll get that level of inisght from them

2 Likes

Good work. I always liked that feature - Everyone they interviewed always seemed a good sport about even the daftest/weirdest questions. 90s Q was a great magazine (before it became 00s Q and went shit).

2 Likes

Seeing as the New Adventuresā€¦ deluxe included some pretty sweet visuals and HD stuff on the blu-ray, itā€™d be nice to see this getting in a cleaned-up fashion

1 Like

ATS and Collapse both getting reissued

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/r-e-m-vinyl-reissues-2/?fbclid=IwAR3FTbPDpdvW4CMBuMnoBZcsA1TxKips9k8_NFw5vKxk6QUFxnJeGdagyJw

1 Like

No spoilers as such but maybe donā€™t watch if you want to go into S2 of The Bear completely blind

1 Like

Is this why it popped up as a single release the other day? Know nothing about The Bear, but I did think it was weird that a thirty year old track was being called a new release

Guess so? Itā€™s different to the Monster version, I noticed. Did they remix or re-record it for the original single release back in 1995, or is this completely ā€˜newā€™?

might be the Scott Litt mix from the Monster reissue a few years ago?

1 Like

Reveal and Accelerate just got added to the reissues schedule. Guess Up will be the last to get the full expanded anniversary edition then.

Yeah, pretty sure it is

1 Like