S5: didn’t bother

Battlestar Galactica:

S1: 9/10
S2: 10/10
S3 1st half: 9/10
S3 2nd half: 5/10
S4: 6.5/10

The Wire: 9.5>10>9>8>4

Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Best programme ever made.

S1: 7
S2: 9
S3: 10
S4: 10
S5: 9
S6: 8
S7: 8

This is a good shout. Really liked the first, kinda watchable but a bit wtf for the second series and 3 total dogshit. First half of 4 was great, but started to go downhill a bit. Not seen 5 yet. Probably will as it’s one of the few shows me and the missus both like.

absolutely loved this scene too

This encapsulates season 3 for me:

L O S T

S1: 7
S2: 8
S3: 8
S4: 9
S5: 6
S6: 3

S1 was good, introduced flashback episode structure, which was a nice new thing at the time.

S2 with the hatch, Desmond and Henry - top stuff.

S3 started poorly, but rallied well around the middle with some great Locke episodes. Then ended with classic Charlie and one of the best season enders ever (WE HAVE TO GO BACK).

S4 was the best - shorter, due to a writers’ strike, but that made it focused. That was the one with the freighter and the mercenaries, and some great smoke monstering. Flashforwards made each episode twice as plotty.

S5 started well, but meandered and showed signs that the writers had no idea where they were going. Time travel shenanigans fun at the time but largely pointless.

S6 was mostly waiting around for something to happen. Then a submarine, and loads of people died. Then a glowy cave, and everyone was dead or something.

Definitely gonna re-watch Lost again after I finish the Wire. Wish I could remember each series in enough detail to rate it, but I loved it the whole way through (up until the ending which I don’t understand to this day).

I think The Wire season 5 is such an odd fuck up. Still has some great stuff but the McNulty plotline jumps so far over the shark it’s cringeworthy to watch. Following up on the S4 stuff of children on the verge of becoming adults (where you’re heavily emotionally invested), with the goings on of a newspaper which is quite dry in comparison was a bit of an own goal. Still has some great stuff in it, and I think the way the season ended was actually really great. They ended it the best way they could have done.

The Sopranos:
S1 - 4/5
S2 - 3/5
S3 - 4/5
S4 - 5/5
S5 - 5/5
S6 PT1 - 4/5
S6 PT2 - 5/5. I think every episode in this is an absoulte banger.

and Firefly S1 - 3/5 (when nostalgia is heavy 5/5!)

I think it’s because Season 1 left us wanting to see justice come to Stringer and resolve all that it could have been. Season 2 first has to have a pretty dubious piece of plotting to bring McNulty back in from the cold and then relegates our ‘main’ thread from the first series to a background story.

S3 gave us what we wanted but on rewatch you note how lacking in layers S3 was, it was really just a sort of mopping up exercise to resolve the threads of S1, while S2 gave a broader view of things with multiple storylines intersecting.

That said, I always question whether part of why I warm to Season 2 is that racism in society conditions me to feel more tragedy about the lives of these white folks than the black folks of the series.

I still think what makes S5 seem bad isn’t just the unhinged feeling of McNulty’s serial killer plan, but the introduction of the newsroom world which is far staler to me and where I think dialogue and premise start to feel very cliched. Nothing about that world was new or exciting.

Actually in the wake of Black Lives Matter I do wonder if Prez’s story will seem weaker on a re-watch, like the show gives him too much of a second chance for what happened?

yeah it definitely felt rushed and the McNulty stuff was just too daft, but agree that they managed to bring it around pretty well. Interestingly, David Simon said if there was to be an S6 it would have focused on immigration. Shame we didn’t get to see that

[quote=“1101010, post:31, topic:7768”]
I think it’s because Season 1 left us wanting to see justice come to Stringer and resolve all that it could have been. Season 2 first has to have a pretty dubious piece of plotting to bring McNulty back in from the cold and then relegates our ‘main’ thread from the first series to a background story.[/quote]
This is partly why I always liked the second series so much. It simultaneously shifts the focus from the micro to the macro level while illustrating exactly what the guys have been complaining about (being shifted onto the next case without closing the first.) It possibly even deliberately challenges the lazy stereotype of drug dealers being black guys in expensive cars.

Then, when the old strands start to come back in it feels like they’re getting in the way of the new story you’re invested in!

Sub-thread. I don’t think I’ve ever hated a fictional character more than I hate Ziggy. I mean that as a tribute to the writing and acting: he is such a dick.

How about The Shield?

The Forest Whitaker one: 9/10
The Glenn Close one: 8/10
All the rest: 5-7/10
The second last episode: 11/10

Mad Men

S1 - 8/10
S2 - 8/10
S3 - 8/10
S4 - 10/10
S5 - 10/10
S6 - 9/10
S7 - 9/10

this is pure, pure insanity. sorry man

Freaks and Geeks S1- 9.5/10

Breaking Bad :-

Can’t really remember.
They were all pretty good.
Were there 5 seasons or 6?

its funny. I was considering doing BB too. but then I realised I only really remember a few solitary episodes. the train heist, the fly and something else

gonna go 7’s across the board

Homeland : -

S1 - I dunno, it was pretty gripping
S2 - Fine
S3 - Yeah
S4 - Well it all changed because Brody was dead but still ok. I guess
S5 - Only seen a few eps of this but it seems ok. Everything has changed now. It’s in Germany