RAYE vs. Polydor - What's going on here?

This seems very strange to me. A couple of her singles from last year were complete bangers so I would have thought that the record label would have been champing at the bit to capitalise.

To have not released an album having signed a deal in 2014 seems wild to me.

Polydor spokesperson has said “We were saddened to read RAYE’s tweets last night and have reached out to her management team to discuss and offer our full support” to the NME

Odd, Polydor always seemed quite decent as one of the ‘big’ labels so interesting to see what’s happening. Does seem nuts they have been signed that long

It’s an increasingly common practice, sadly. Label signs an artist, artist records an album worth of material, some test singles are released, artist is only given a full release if The Numbers are good enough.

A few years ago the same thing happened with The Good Natured. She put out some excellent singles herself, signed to Parlophone and recorded an album, the few test singles didn’t sell as well as they’d liked, so the album has never been released. Sadder still is that the rights to all her songs sit with Parlophone who have since dropped her.

Hopefully Raye gets a better deal.

1 Like

This feels like it should be fucking illegal

3 Likes

labels gonna label :man_shrugging:

1 Like

A reminder that artists need a good lawyer before signing contracts. You can presumably have a clause that says that the rights revert to the artist if the label does not release them within a certain period of time. I think established artists often insist on this but you can understand why young ones don’t (if they don’t get good advice)

4 Likes

Anyone who follows up-and-coming popstars like this knows it’s been an increasingly common thing, unfortunately. They’re essentially stuck in weird limbo where the label won’t greenlight an album without A Hit (what metric that’s based on is anyone’s guess) and so pop girls like this are stuck chucking out singles and collaborations in the hope that a body of work might get released at some point.

It’s a product of major labels being risk averse (is it worth signing the cheque for a Raye album and paying everyone involved, and paying the marketing if they’re not going to get their money back on all that outlay?) and streaming consumption. Labels can nowadays still make a bunch of money off an artist from just throwing out singles (which are relatively cheap to make compared to full lengths), and so it means there’s no real need for albums. But for the artists, albums are how they validate themselves and create genuine fanbases, which endless one-off tracks just don’t.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. That’s a really horrible situation. Seems ridiculous that contracts can be set up in this way.

As @JaguarPirate pirate says, in particular the bit about unreleased material remaining the label’s property after dropping an artist is borderline obsecene.

Dan le sac was looking at the figures earlier this week

6 Likes

Just realised i was thinking of Polyvinyl which is probably why this felt odd. Polydor can fuck the fuck off.

Artie Fufkin at Polymer would’ve never let this sort of thing happen.

2 Likes
1 Like