Reading and Leeds 2019

Did they? Well that’s one less regret then!

Yeah, like Jason Molina I only really got into his stuff after he’d died. Would love to have seen him live (same goes for Molina obvs).

Ash, Sonic Youth then the Roses consecutively, I’d have loved that

Both the bass and the light show were insane. They had a great lineup at the time too, seem to recall Aaron North being a towering presence on stage. This alongside the strictly bangers set list made for the perfect festival show.

Went to each Reading weekend between 2003 to 2008 and then The Radioheads day the following year. There was a lot of dross and awful people but saw enough great stuff to tip the balance into returning the next year (living locally helped).

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s the legendarily terrible Roses show where they packed it in afterwards.

Which may be part of the appeal.

The Stone Roses we’re objectively awful that night. So bad that I wandered off to watch Underworld instead.

1 Like

lovely to see Dead 60s between Blood Brothers and DFA 1979

If there’s one thing i know about a gig i didn’t go to, it’s that the Stone Roses were shit at Reading 96. Can’t even begin to fathom how bad it must have been.

1 Like

Skip to 3:20 for the vocals in full glorious effect:

2 Likes

Anyone know why it all went so spectacularly wrong here? John Squire wasn’t there and Ian Brown can’t sing obv but this set has gone down in history.

RHCP in 2007 was probably the worst headline set I saw.

This legit sounds like a shreds video

@weeber thanks for linking that Pumpkins set, had a lovely time listening to that today!

1 Like

Ah, think I’d heard this before actually, that’s a shame. I reckon I’d still have enjoyed it more than Post Malone

1 Like

This was my experience with multiple visits to T in the Park. Went every year between 04 and 08, saw reformed Pixies and Rage Against The Machine, a memorable Interpol set, Bright Eyes doing the Digital Ash stuff, an Arcade Fire set that made me blub, 4 piece Battles, Aphex Twin, Sigur Ros, LCD Soundsystem for the first time and loads of other stuff that I’m forgetting about. But there was so much dross as well. Funnily enough it was someone getting stabbed to death in the campsite that stopped me going back, not the degradation of the lineup.

1 Like

Tbf, that’s what they sound like now, isn’t it? (From what I’ve seen of recorded footage anyway)

from wikipedia, about Stone Roses in 1996

The music press was united in its criticism, the NME describing “I am the Resurrection” as “more like the eternal crucifixion”

ooft

1 Like

I also didn’t see Radiohead, Rollins, Jesus Lizard, Helmet, Afghan Whigs, or Jeff Buckley.

On the Sunday I think I only saw Cud.

[goes to the work lavatories and screams into the pan]

2 Likes

All happened quite quickly, and they made some terrible decisions about choice of band members, having a dancing girl, and practicing a bit). Think Brown also claims to have not slept for days, and that they were much better at the couple of shows they did before (which strangely never seem to get mentioned anywhere).

1 Like

Seem to recall the press conference on the same day where they laid in to John Squire getting an equal amount of attention for the car crash that it was.

Remember seeing Primal Scream there in 2000 and Mani kept making references to how much better it was than the last time he was there, which was quite funny.

I saw Rollins, Helmet and The Jesus Lizard (David Yow diving into the crowd from the main stage was a sight to see!) but I also missed Afghan Whigs as I wasn’t aware of them at the time. I honestly can’t remember whether I saw Radiohead or not (I was pretty baked for a lot of that weekend though!)

Yeah but did you see Cud? Great show.

erm, I might have done? I was pretty uninformed musically at the time and just followed the crowd of folks I was with to whatever they went to watch!

1 Like