Reading Books in 2021

also I finally restarted Gravity’s Rainbow (see thread), so that’ll be me until probably mid-February at the rate I’m going

1 Like

I am reading Blue Ticket.
After that I am going to try to read Understory. Have up on it in the summer for more light-hearted read

Going for the 100 books in a year (if I include kids books I have to read for school)

4 Likes

I am currently reading ‘Ultra: The Underworld Of Italian Football’, it’s really interesting. Up next after that is the John Cooper Clarke autobiography.

2 Likes

I liked it a lot. Lent it to my father-in-law who promptly handed it back after 20 pages :+1:

1 Like

Fancied something a bit standard/Detectivey so am reading In the Woods by Tana French. It’s good fun!

If anybody is looking for 2021 reads, I recently bought a book bundle from Charco Press https://charcopress.com/. They’re an Edinburgh based publisher who put out critically acclaimed Latin American titles that have never been translated to English. I got the 2020 bundle, they are beautiful and you get a lovely tote too:

20 Likes

Currently halfway through reading Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.

First ever Atwood, and it’s great!

2 Likes

It’s been on my reading list for a few years, but not got round to it yet.

I was reading a book of Chabon essays though, and part of what sparked him off for writing the book was finding a vintage yiddish tourist phrase book, and feeling sad about how extremely useless it was in the present day.

Here’s the article archive.ph

1 Like

I’m currently reading Simone de Beauvoir’s The Second Sex.

I have been making slow progress with Lisa See’s The Island of Sea Women, which is brilliant but I have very little time to read purely for pleasure at the moment.

And @anon89873996 - FWIW this is one of my favourite books of all time. It’s incredible, if utterly devastating.

1 Like

My edition has that same story about the phrase book as part of an interview.

Great isn’t it? Might do it again, or The Water Cure as I’ve forgotten a lot of it. My partner read it in two sittings over the last couple of days

1 Like

Currently queued up and occupying the unread section of my bookcase:

John Darnielle - Wolf in White Van
Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
NK Jemisin- The Stone Sky
Paul Tremblay - A Head Full of Ghosts
Jeff Tweedy - Let’s Go (So We Can Get Back)
Michael Chabon- Yiddish Policemen’s Union

3 Likes

Niche

:open_mouth:
:exploding_head:

Read any other local history you would recommend?

1 Like

Taking ages to read stuff at the moment. Reading a book about the Beatles that I mostly only read when I can’t sleep in the middle of the night, and House of Leaves, which I read in the daytime (which isn’t much currently) and reading Adrian Mole before bed for something easy.

An uncle was encouraging me to give Ulysses a go this year after I was re-reading The Dead from Dubliners. Maybe it’s time…

Water Cure was fabulous.

Blue Ticket I am enjoying, very powerfully written. Excellent sense of doom and that kind of not all that futuristic regime. Reminiscent of Handmaid’s tale.

I think all I can say is that personally speaking, I can’t imagine being able to get anything out of it at all unless you know a place pretty well. I don’t think this one would be enjoyable or to be honest comprehensible if you didn’t already have a pretty good idea of what Oxford’s like, where the main streets are etc.

Big MMS fan here. You may or may not know, but he has written a lot of books under other names, mostly Michael Marshall (thrillers with a speculative/ horror edge) and Michael Rutger (adventure novels with, yes, a speculative/ horror edge). The MMS SF stuff is my favourite, but they are all fun reads.

Do it!

2 Likes

Love TKAM, A Head Full of Ghosts is great too. Haven’t read Wolf in White Van but I did enjoy Universal Harvester. Got a couple of other Paul Tremblay books in my pile of to-reads.

1 Like