Reading books in 2022

Read Luster which I’m feeling mixed on, loved the writing style but not the story or characters. Picked up in the second half as the focus shifted and there’s less Eric and more Akila.

2 Likes

I finished ‘Interior Chinatown’ and agree with everything @JaguarPirate said about it.

I’m now rereading ‘Our Band Could Be Your Life’ so I don’t end up leaving a half finished novel at home when I go on holiday. Currently done Black Flag (don’t think I’ve heard a song but they sound like dicks), Minutemen (what a lovely bunch of lads) and Mission of Burma (not as good on record as they sound here but they’re an awesome band).

Also: I’ve read 33 books this year (although one of them was a book about magical princesses that was a bedtime story for The Child).

2 Likes

Yeah I think we’ve all generally felt a bit let down by Luster on here.

Read and enjoyed a few Sayaka Murata books recently.

Mieko Kawakami too.

1 Like

I will still certainly look out for her next book.

Think I’ll finally pick up Sea of Tranquility after the comments above, been in the to read pile since May.

1 Like

Really enjoyed Kawakami’s most recently translated novel All The Lovers In The Night.

1 Like

Thought Luster was pretty good but it really lacked a back third. It just sort of, ends? Lots of books don’t have climactic endings and they’re fine, but this could have done with a bit more!

For me it just didn’t feel very new or different as a story

Just finished Sea Of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel, which was a nice quick and interesting read. I really liked it. It reminded me a bit of To Paradise from earlier this year, but not as long!

2 Likes

Did you read The Glass Hotel? I had avoided it on account of the poorer reviews than Station Eleven but my sister in law pointed out there was a direct connection so I read it after and it was decent, although definitely the weakest of the three.

Nope, not read that yet. Although I saw it pop up in lots of reviews and comments on GR when reading about SoT afterwards, and they all seem quite approving of it. So will hopefully get it at some point.

1 Like

The Vegetarian - Han Kang

Absolutely blown away by this, the first novel I’ve read by Kang. A modern masterpiece, her prose style creating very vivid imagery. On a technical level I also found the use of two male narrators in the first two stories, dismissive of the women in their lives and the issues they faced, to be a very clever illustrative device to highlight both the sexism in South Korea’s staunchly patriarchal society and the lack of emphasis placed upon female voices reflecting issues that affect women.

Can’t wait to read more of her work.

5 Likes

Also just finished this and loved it, certainly my favourite of hers. I struggled with The Glass Hotel a little but I think some of that was down to expectations and timing when I read it.

Need to read To Paradise, Cloud Cuckoo Land is another that is similar and also long.

2 Likes

I personally really preferred Human Acts to The Vegetarian so I definitely recommend that to you!

1 Like

Thanks. That was my intended next port of call.

1 Like

To Paradise, by the A Little Life author is 99 pence on Kindle today. Much easier than reading the giant paper book version! I really liked it anyway.

Am also tempted about getting Stone Blind by Natalie Haynes, which is 99 pence today too. Medusa and Greek gods type stuff.

1 Like

Stone blind looks right up my street! Thank you.

1 Like

My novel of the year is Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin, I imagine there would be a lot of fans of it here tentatively checks thread

3 Likes

Not read it, but it’s on the list!

1 Like

Sounds interesting, will put it on the to-reads.

Currently reading a former-DiSer’s book on non-league football.

2 Likes