Reading books in 2023

TBR:

Current:

Target: 33

I think I lost interest about 5 stories in TBH

1 Like

These TBR piles are giving me anxiety on behalf of those dissers

:sweat_smile:

Peter Temple! Nice. The Broken Shore is so good. Enjoy.

Get the sequel, Truth, if you can too. One of my ATBs

1 Like

Shouldn’t this be in the Entertainment category?

Truth was the one I had on my list from one of these threads, but when I realised it was a sequel I had to get the original first ofc

2 Likes

Got to actually make some progress on my many many books rather than buy more.

However, the sequel to Ninth House is out next week.

Just finished Dark Tower 5 - Wolves of the Calla on my reread of the whole lot. I had forgotten the contents until I started reading and remembered I do love it. A proper action story in a very well described place. And we start to get hints of the ‘meta’ aspect he builds on. Having a break and reading something else, as I have done 1-5 without a break, and it’s been all I have read for 3-4 months?

So currently reading Mr Bowling Buys a Newspaper, which sounds and looks strange, but a friend who’s taste I trust implicitly recommended it.

Where’s all my Good Reads people? Tell me how to find you, just downloaded it

(Also it already seems not to be adding books to my reading challenge, smh)

I think I just deleted the app and went back to the website in the end as it seemed (on Android at least) to retain all the failings the website has in mobile mode (can’t view comments properly, My Books is a fucking nightmare to work with etc.) Luckily it’s a website that you can force to Desktop Mode and generally still use reasonably well.

I’m on there here, anyway

1 Like

And how do i find you, you avoider

1 Like

Nope, fucked it, hang on.

Does this work?

2 Likes

Have a silly amount of unread books, but have decided to start organising them into a smaller to-read pile. I would say that I’d try to stop picking up more books in the meantime, but it’s not going to happen. Current list:

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow - Gabrielle Zevin
Sea of Tranquility - Emily St. John Mandel
Mischief Acts - Zoe Gilbert
Black Butterflies - Priscilla Morris
Shuggie Bain - Douglas Stuart
Leviathan Wakes - James S.A. Corey
A Thousand Moons - Sebastian Barry
Our Wives Under the Sea - Julia Armfield

Reading Fool’s Assassin by Robin Hobb. Loved the Farseer trilogy and v. happy returning to these characters.

Goodreads: Mark (iamkram) - London, E3, The United Kingdom (936 books)

Woah, didn’t know about these.

I loved Farseer, but just couldn’t get into Liveship Traders when I tried the first book so I skipped to Tawny Man and loved that also, particularly how it resolved the stuff I had found hard to deal with in the closing of the original Farseer.

Did you read Rain Wild in between?

I haven’t! Farseer trilogy is all I’ve read by her so far. Is Rain Wild the same universe?

Oh man, you should really read Tawny Man before you read some new Fool stuff I think?! Yes all in the same universe but different characters in Rain Wild apparently and in Liveship from what I recall too.

1 Like

I’m going to try Storygraph this year instead of goodreads:

1 Like

Somehow missed all those (other than the Liveship Traders, which didn’t appeal as much). I’ll persevere with Fool’s Assassin. Don’t think it’ll spoil the previous ones if I go back to them.

1 Like

This is me, Lee - Birmingham, The United Kingdom (432 books)

My only issue with it, is when I’m without a bookmark and use the update progress is that there aren’t multiple versions for editions to accommodate for when you have a different page count to the one states

Just followed you. So it’s not some random weirdo. Just me weirdo.

I have mentioned on here before that I love the idea and how Goodreads works…but I just don’t update it. The last time I logged in it told me I was 1/2 way through a book I started 3 years ago.

My Book Club people use it and there are some features in there I think help us.

1 Like