Reading Books In 2024

Happy new year book folk!

What you reading in 2024? My first finish of the year will be Great Circle by Maggie Shipstead, which I’ve enjoyed a lot after a slowish start.

Obligatory photo of the TBR pile, omitting the dozens of 99p Kindle books that I am definitely going to read one day.

13 Likes

The bad thing about my discovered love of my Kindle and Kindle deals over the 99p Kindle deals is that I read them and mostly don’t read my physical collection of backlog books. A while back I did have an attempt of getting rid of some of the books that I probably won’t ever read, so maybe I should have another round of that.
I guess that the good thing about the Kindle deals is that I don’t buy as many physical books to add to my big backlog of unread books!

(I think these are mostly mine, but a few might be my partner’s)

2 Likes

My first book of the year is this

3 Likes

To read pile is in danger of turning into a sentient beast, ready to devour me.

Keep getting books out of both the uni and public libraries on top of this. Have a habit of deciding I’ll not get round to reading them, take them back to the library, and then by the time I’ve exited the building, I’ve borrowed just as many books again.

Reading The Glutton by AK Blakemore, with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy on the side (got a hardback of The Glutton - find I need to have a kindle book on the go too, for insomnia reading in the dark purposes).

1 Like

Already managed 2 books. On for a massive year of reading :muscle:

30 Likes

Loved The Great Circle so much

1 Like

I have to finish my three half read books - the history of sport in Britain one my dad got me for Christmas, horror short stories by non white authors, and a great but slow book my friend wrote. That’ll take a minute!

My big goal for this year is to read the huge biography of Robert Moses - it’s over 1000 pages long so literally going to make it a year long task, 100 pages a month

Honestly think i managed about 4 books this year which is so rubbish particularly as i do love it but there’s work, exercise, looking after the bairns, video games, all the tv and spending time with my wife - just don’t think I’ve got a lot of room.

1 Like

My wife and I have an annual competition on who will read the most books that year. She always wins every year, but I love doing things like reading a book like this and then adding it to my Goodreads just to see how mad it’d make her.

Me and her sister were both reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn over Christmas based on her recommendation, so I turned that into a competition too, hiding her copy of the book somewhere new every morning.

1 Like

My plans this year definitely partly shaped by Christmas gifts - Prophet Song and Don Quixote especially on my list.

I also want to reread Vineland (both in line with a podcast and also in advance of the rumoured Paul Thonas Anderson adaptation)

Continuing from last year, I might pick up Ulysses too!

3 Likes

The fact that I’m reading Ducks, Newburyport at the moment, the fact that it’s taking forever

5 Likes

Will probably finish The Priory of The Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon soon. Am enjoying it, well realised high fantasy.

Tbr pile is too big

2 Likes

Love Ulysses. Been thinking about rereading it, might make it this year

1 Like

Sounds like a great biography if you’re going to read it twelve times this year! (Oh ho!)

2 Likes

My current TBR pile. Heading to town later so may pick up some physical books if the shops are open.

Don’t have a main goal outside of reading more generally - 2023 was more video gamey in my off time and I want to get back on the horse of reading being my main hobby.

1 Like

My favourite book :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. Twas a good companion!

1 Like

Pretty pretty good.

3 Likes

I’ll give you a good Amazon review for yr next book if you like, lad

1 Like

Reading the Chambers one at the moment as recommended by @AcceptanceIII . Realised I already owned it, but hadn’t read it so I have a spare copy if anybody want it? Free, obvs. Very enjoyable so far!

Immediate TBR pile pic. Nothing strenuous as I’m not in the mood!

5 Likes

‘KEEP WALKING WEIRD’ sounds intriguing. Love spines like that where there’s no other information, just a bold slogan, jumps right off the shelves :slight_smile:

1 Like