Recipe book thread

Here is a thread to discuss cookery books of all kinds. Talk about your favourites, ask for recommendations, or opinions on a specific book.

That last one is why I am starting this thread ad I wondered if anyone could vouch for this book:

I want to really get better at making things to have nice food options in the freezer because a shocking amount of the time I am in no fit mental state to be able to do any cooking much beyond warming things up, but also in those times I crave nice foid to make me feel better. So, anyone got this? Or have any other recommendations for similar books that can help me build some good freezer options?
1 Like

I have an interest in this thread.

I would like a book that may not be titled “Minimum Effort, Maximum Effect”, but would end up still being applicable if that was its title.

3 Likes

Not on spreadsheet-book so I don’t know if you’re veggie but obviously so many veggie options are basically mush so if you go for them you’ll have more stuff to freeze without it actually ending up being greatly negatively affected!

Can recommend this book

Lots of very quick recipes at the start some of which will give you a lot to freeze if you do the amounts given, others will be simple enough to pull off in 15 or 20 mins.

1 Like

Can you order into the library?

Just thinking how often you end up just cherry picking a few recipes from a book so maybe this is a better option where you just photograph a few that fit the brief and make your own mix up?

1 Like

Libraries aren’t open atm

1 Like

They are allowed to reopen since last Saturday.

Tell that to my local one then

2 Likes

All ours are like 5 to 10-year old copies of Good Food and Sainsbury’s magazines

3 Likes

The Meera Sodha ones are excellent, there’s loads of things in them that are suitable for easy weeknight dinners that are actually tasty. Plus the recipes are set out in a logical and practical way, which is astonishingly rare for cook books.

The Isa Chandra Moskowitz one is a bit patchy, leans too heavily on vegan meat replacements imo rather than tasty vegan meals in their own right. But there’s some good stuff in there.

2 Likes

Chai, Chaat and Chutney by Chetna Makan is very good. An exploration of Indian Street food.

1 Like

For some reason it never occurred to me to get recipe books from the library. Big Essex ones are back open today and my local one is up and running nrxt week, hopefully the reservation system is back live so I can have a look :crossed_fingers:

The Anna Jones one looks decent so I’ll see if I can find that. I am not strictly vegetarian because I’ll eat meat for the sake of it being easier when other people sre cooking, but I never choose it myself as an option.

1 Like

Is there a particular Meera one that you’d recommend?

Fresh India, only because I haven’t done much from Made In India yet (bought it because it was on offer).

Here’s an example from it that we use loads, to see if you get on with the style. Also a good example of something that’s way tastier than the sum of its… ingredients.

2 Likes

I really appreciate that for each “cook for…” it also says what the end point should be in terms of appearance etc.

1 Like

which one m8, she’s done loads?

Also: she’s absolutely brilliant at sauce recipes.

Fresh india is great

1 Like

The one I’ve got, OBVIOUSLY. Christ.

Isa Does It

Ooh, this looks nice. If only I had the seeds I’d have all the ingredients already!

1 Like

Think that’s pretty good, but yeah, probably only about 4-5 recipes in there that I’ve gone back to. Although that is higher than average tbh.

Superfun times vegan holiday cookbook is my favourite of hers.

1 Like

You can do it without the seeds and it’ll be about 95% as good, although I love 'em and use a fairly generous measure.

1 Like