Recommend 4 albums from the 90s

4 Likes

That NK albums kcks like bruce lee, still one of the very best gigs I’ve seen.

1 Like

Billy Bragg - Don’t Try This At Home

Chapterhouse - Whirlpool

Boo Radleys - Everyything’s Alright Forever

Lifetime - Hello Bastards

3 Likes

Great choices - will have to check out “that dog”…know the name…interesting shout that you chose Simpatico over Copaceptic and although its not received wisdom I would also go with that choice despite being a died in the wool shoegazer of which Copaceptic is more aligned. Remember seeing them and Madder Rose (headlining!) on the Other stage at Reading in 94…joyous occasion.
I favour Bring it down to Panic On but only just- adore them both

1 Like

90s is my favourite decade so hard to whittle down to 40 or even 400 to be honest

My actual top 4

1. MBV - Loveless
  2. Slowdive - Souvlaki
  3. Madder Rose - Bring it down
  4. Catherine Wheel - Ferment

Four less obvious non shoegaze picks I love (although 3+ 4 above aren’t obvious)

Deacon Blue - whatever you say, say nothing (nostalgiac element but I stand by it - soulful pop/rock with Oakenfold production working better than one might expect)

Mineral - endserenading - midwest emo (rivalling SDRE’s Diary as my pick of the genre)

Lotion - Full Isaac - indie-rock from the same lable as Madder Rose (saw a great gig with them both) but slight emo tendencies

Codeine - The White Birch (slowcore)

3 Likes

that dog are more indie pop than rock and their sound is more like Velocity Girl’s Simpatico than their debut.

You probably remember the “Volume” series of compilation albums from the 90s. I bought Volume 9 the day before my A’Level results came out. I first heard bands like that dog, Tindersticks and Buffalo Tom from that CD compilation. Always had a soft spot for that album and the memories nearly 30 years on :open_mouth:

That album also had this brilliant track from Blessed Ethel who apparently beat Oasis in a Battle Of The Bands contest. Never an Oasis fan but am of Volume 9 and a lot of the bands on that album.

3 Likes

MBV is my favourite album of all time, but I purposely excluded it (for the “obvious” reason) - if you haven’t already tried Swirlies (start with Blonder tongue audio baton), then worth a listen. That Madder Rose album is such high quality (love Altar Boy, almost shoegazey itself). Spent a lot of time walking by the River Wear at night in Durham listening to CW’s Chrome - just as good in its own way…Great list anyway.

1 Like

I like Copaceptic as much but it was the summer of 94 again for me. Simpatico was the first album of theirs I bought and really loved the repeat listens during that summer.

Have you heard any of the tracks Velocity Girl did on their John Peel sessions? I got hold of that again in 1994 and was the first time that I’d heard of Velocity Girl. Their John Peel session version of Crazy Town is brilliant and I so much prefer it to the original.

Nice memories…Yes I do remember that volume magazine/compilation series - although I think I only bought one in my time…was good though and I might try and get a copy- the indie/independent top 20 series that I got into at the time are going quite cheap at the moment so hopefully the same story. Buffalo Tom were close to making my list - love all their 90s releases…

Blessed Ethel is a nice link as they were my first ever gig in a joint headliner show with Wishplants at windsor old trout - by coincidence I rebought the Wishplants cd last week on the cheap having lost a copy - definitely a nostaliga trip but some strong moments. I honestly can’t remember much about Blessed Ethel and they are not very stream-able but I’d like to revisit. They definitely deserved that victory over Oasis too!

1 Like

Thanks a lot - yes agreed about Chrome - quite different (less gazey; more heavy) but almost as good - that was actually my entry point into CW and I bought it purely on the strength of the cover from HMV in Guildford. Something I rarely did but it definitely paid off as they were my favourite band for about 3 years after. Whilst the cover art to Chrome was then in a exhibition I stumbled across a few years ago in London of photography from LP covers which was cool to see.

Yeah I do like the Swirlies too; good shout - in recent years I’ve dipped quite heavily into stateside shoegaze of the 90s which is a much richer trove than I had been led to believe.

Nice to see another fan of that Madder Rose LP - it was critically acclaimed at the time and remains a cult classic for some of us - yeah I see what you mean about Altar Boy too…I did a Dj set at a shoegaze night years ago and found fit to include a Madder Rose track - tenuous but it worked.

1 Like

Volume 13 was the one for me: introduced me to Radiohead, Boo Radleys and Tindersticks on the CD, and probably a bunch more from the mag too.

2 Likes

Bettie Serveert - Palomine

Fuzzy - Electric Juices

Folk Implosion - One Part Lullaby

Tripping Daisy - Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb

1 Like

Never heard of The Crux before. They seem to be hard to find online.

They are called Sal Paradise anywhere other than Australia. I forgot to mention that.

Hah! That might help! :smile:

Shit who would’ve thought there would be so many of them…

Wow. People really love On the Road. Looks to be the third one down.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

When i was doing the ironing on Sunday i was shouting at Alexa, requesting her to play various tracks i haven’t heard in ages, one of which was No Comply by Senser.
Absolutely huge

2 Likes