🇺🇦 Recommend music from Ukraine

Someone asked us on Facebook and the first thing that came to mind was this peaceful piano album. Wondering what else you would recommend?

Just a quick aside on thread title Sean, which I didn’t realise until recently either

The use of “the Ukraine” is officially deprecated by the Ukrainian government and many English language media publications. Ukraine is the official full name of the country , as stated in its declaration of independence and its constitution; there is no official alternative long name.

4 Likes

I’ve changed it. Apologies. (Think I’m used to writing the UK)

1 Like
2 Likes

DakhaBrakha - great band, great singing, great hats

5 Likes

Yep, I totally second DakhaBrakha and their great hats. Seeing them at the Barbican last month was such a highlight from the last few years.

3 Likes
3 Likes

(Last one is technically a Lemko song)

3 Likes

I repped Ukraine at the DiS Song Contest 2021, this was the entry and it did quite well as I recall:

Here’s another cool psych-rock act I considered:

4 Likes

2 Likes

Океан Ельзи - who are probably the biggest Ukrainian band of all time; biggest concert I’ve ever been to was their Independence Day show at the NSC Olimpiyskyi - updated the thumbnail on this song, originally released in 2016.

1 Like

Thought some people might appreciate this

A couple of Kyiv-based techno labels that showcase plenty of Ukrainian artists:

Nechto:

Standard Deviation:

1 Like

This album is really good

Alina’s great, saw her at the London jazz festival in November and had a magic time

1 Like

Pušča

Svrm

Oh Deer!

New piece from The Quietus

Also a whole day of radio (been speaking with Diane from Ukraine Music Export to see if there’s anything we can do to help)

3 Likes