Recommend some dystopian nightmare vision of the future books

So in the present political climate and technological age I’ve just re-read 1984 and Brave New World and am setting my sights on We, The Hand Maid’s Tale and Fahrenheit 451.

Any other similar disturbing dystopian it-could-all-come-true novels worth reading?

Remember the authorities are watching…

The chimes by anna smail is a good recent one. bit ya, but i really enjoyed it

The Wool trilogy is a lot better than most people think it is
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

I didn’t realise people didn’t think it was good. Ok it doesn’t keep up the standard of the first book, but I thought it was really good.

The Time Machine by HG Wells, sort of

Broken earth trilogy by nk jemisin, its different from the books you mentioned but talks about a far future world ruined by the climate. It’s really good, the first book won a Hugo award and her writing is really really good even though the first book took a while to get into (but once you do it’s great)

The Road, On The Beach. Station Eleven is supposed to be good but I haven’t read it yet.

found that bit of bone clocks set in Ireland very very upsetting, made me spin out thinking about societal collapse a little bit.

a friend lent me a copy of the ana kavan one and i completely failed to read it before it went into a box in my parents attic

:frowning:

Ooh, I’ve read and loved all of those - I read We last year and really enjoyed it. Was impressed that it’s almost 100 years old now.

Other similar books:

definitely Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. In the words of Kurt, he “cheerfully ripped off the plot of Brave New World, whose plot had been cheerfully ripped off from Yevgeny Zamyatin’s We”.

The World Inside by Robert Silverberg. Set a few centuries in the future where everyone lives in giant towerblocks of about 800,000 people each.

and maybe also The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin, and The City & The City by China Mieville?

Another vote for The Power by Naomi Alderman

I tried to get The Fifth Season out of the library ages ago but someone had reserved it. Fair enough. Never mind. But I checked the other day and it’s not been returned. been overdue for a good three months or so now. Be surprised if it ever comes back :weary:

So horrifically plausible
shudder

The Guardian newspaper is full of them.

Yeah I’m reading the power atm and it’s great

It’s GREAT