Recommend to me personally an album from 2021

I’ve barely listened to anything new this year and not really liked any albums that I have listened to (Ye - ok but difficult, Doja - really disappointing, Olivia Rodrigo - way too many slow songs) apart from Halsey. Don’t even really know who’s released anything.

What should I listen to? I know there are threads for new releases but I’m just not a listen to 10 new albums a week kinda gal

Some guidance:

• this is what I like
  • I prefer more ‘normal’/‘clean’ women’s voices generally, can go more weird with men’s voices. Probably problematic but idk take up the issue with my ears. I’ve swung back to listening to more DiS adjacent stuff recently
  • very into Elephant 6 at the moment, The Opera House by Olivia Tremor Control is a top example of the vibes I’m feeling atm. also Capacity (song) by Big Thief even though she does have a weird voice. sorry I’m not very consistent.
  • I do not like prog and find quite a lot of that post rock stuff pretty boring. want some bangers.

(Can I just caveat that i don’t want this posted to drive #engagement on DiS socials, probably wouldn’t be anyway but just in case)

1 Like

Hi pervo, I would recommend Flux by Poppy

3 Likes

Morning pervo, I believe you would enjoy Thirstier by TORRES. It’s 35 minutes of catchy tunes, some a bit power pop, some a bit more electronic. A bit vague but if you enjoy the track below you’ll probably enjoy the album.

9 Likes

You might like the new Shannon Lay album. It’s only out today so I haven’t had a proper listen yet but I like her stuff

Folky acousticy stuff with quite a clean voice?

2 Likes

Yeah I second that, really good album - that, Hug From A Dinosaur and Thirstier are glorious pop anthems.

2 Likes

Try Genesis Owusu - Smiling With No Teeth Aussie mix of rock/funk/r’n’b. Think Prince/Janelle Monae. One of my favourite albums this year

Cleo Sol - Mother English soulful r’n’b

3 Likes
1 Like

Hey Pervo! Think you might enjoy Alice Phoebe Lou’s album ‘Glow’ - they were the submission for South Africa in DiS Eurovision contest (can’t remember who submitted it now though - apologies!) with this track:

I guess it’s kinda indie pop with a slow groove? Puts a spring in my step when I listen to it anyway - enjoy! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Ah yeah I did like Witches! I’ve got that one on my iPod

2 Likes

I’ve only listened to 2 albums released this year and one is Olivia Rodrigo, sorry.

1 Like

i know you like your pop-punk, so I think New Pagans could work. One of my guitar albums of the year, some real catchy stuff that also veers into heavier post-punk territory, but always hook-based

4 Likes

@TheBarbieMovie2023, here’s some female fronted emo-pop. the whole album is great and very much in this vein…

and some male fronted electro glam…

this album is a lot of fun but more guitar driven than this track. bit supergrass/t-rex.

1 Like

Oh yeah that song gets stuck in my head for days! Dirty Mouth has a similar catchy vibe to it.

Seconded, fantastic album.

Also really enjoyed these this year:

4 Likes

My normal listening of female led sad indie probably wouldn’t be up your street, but this is lovely. Crackly, warm vocals

Also Sun June, Kate Kirby and this banger from Cheekface, spiky indie pop

2 Likes

Think Ray BLK has gone under the radar a bit, this is superb British R&B pop. I reckon you might enjoy this.

2 Likes

And honourable mentions to:

5 Likes

Jane Weaver?

3 Likes

Firstly, would wholeheartedly second the shouts for the Torres and Japanese Breakfast albums. The Japanese Breakfast record is the only “indie/guitar artist goes pop” album I’ve ever really enjoyed, mainly because Michelle Zauner actually wrote some pop songs rather than putting 80s keyboards on something clearly written on and for acoustic guitar.

A couple of others I’ve really liked that haven’t been mentioned yet:

Shungudzo’s I’m Not A Mother, But I Have Children is catchy as all hell while dealing with some weighty and vital issues:

Cassandra Jenkins’ record is my favourite thing released this year:

4 Likes

A second vote for Cassandra Jenkins. It’s a fascinating record with lots of surprises. At times you think it is a fairly conventional singer-songwriter record, but then it diverts into spoken word sections and long instrumental parts filled with found sounds. It’s really beautiful throughout and thought provoking- touching delicately on themes of loss, the value of art and the nature of friendship - all with undercurrent of wry humour. Great album.

3 Likes